BEGINNER NEEDS HELP!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Can anyone remember where the thread is that a guy/gal made a tort table like this but put an apex on it to cover it. I thought it was a good way for people to convert their tables to a closed system. I saw it a few days ago. @Tom I remember you giving it your blessing.
the one with the sliding doors? I'll have a look.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ah here we go! As you can see she has overfilled the food bowl with pellets View attachment 190721
Hi and welcome, I started with one of these tables and run in to trouble with it. You can keep an ambient temp or high humidity in an open table.
You need to cover it, have a 100w ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a thermostat. And a 15" long uvb strip light, 5.0 set at one end so it's darker at the other end. When I didn't light my entire enclosure up it was ridiculous how much more active my torts were. Put food dish near uvb lighting.
Could you convert your table into something like this.
received_10207680260910349.jpeg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi and welcome, I started with one of these tables and run in to trouble with it. You can keep an ambient temp or high humidity in an open table.
You need to cover it, have a 100w ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a thermostat. And a 15" long uvb strip light, 5.0 set at one end so it's darker at the other end. When I didn't light my entire enclosure up it was ridiculous how much more active my torts were. Put food dish near uvb lighting.
Could you convert your table into something like this.
View attachment 190729
You can't keep an ambient,. Is what it should have said.

Tortoiseandco

I wouldn't have a RF outdoors here in Kent at this time of year, let alone up North :)

It's very common for pet shops to give unreliable or outdated advice. They're in the business of selling things. They're not tortoise experts :(

If you look in the enclosure forum you will find examples of closed chambers that people have built. The search on TFO doesn't work properly, but Googling "Tortoiseforum redfoot Closed chamber" should find a few examples on TFO for you to look at :)
Yes it's definately too cold up here! This was a little pet shop that were supposed to be extremely experienced but obviously you are right. It's hard to find ones that actually care about animal welfare anymore. I'm debating whether we should try and cover this one or if we would be able to just take it back and build one?! Seems like a better alternative especially as it's too small. I'd like one for it to grow into Thankyou very much for all the help!

Tortoiseandco

Don't panic or get downhearted! Start with the caresheets and the posts in the redfoot sections until RF keepers along. . It's great that you are determined to give him the best home possible.
Thankyou! It seems a lot more complicated than I initially believed it would be to get it suitable. Well there's no choice! So it's got to happen. Hopefully it will be perfect as can be soon! :)

Tortoiseandco

You can't keep an ambient,. Is what it should have said.
Ah okay Thankyou, I am thinking I will need to build it from scratch! All the info is extremely helpful Thankyou all for taking all this time yo help us both out!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Does he look ok?
I've only just seen that photo. There is some slight stacking on the scutes, it's nothing to worry about but this is what happens when they are kept too dry. This is why it's important to close your enclosure up to keep humidity above 80%. Soooooo, you need to get humitiy up, provide a water dish in the enclosure that your tort can sit in and bathe, I spray my torts carapace(shell) every morning and tea time, also you should soak your Tortoise in warm water for about 20mins each day, as they get older this can be cut back. But because you don't know the history of this tort and it looks like it's being kept too dry soak it every day for 20mins for a couple of weeks, this will ensure its hydrated.
Can I ask where you got this tort from please.