YELLOW FOOTED HATCHLING NEED HELP

Emma Vanderheyden

Hi everyone!!! My little brother and mother purchased a young yellow footed tortoise without knowing what they were getting into, so I took the tortoise that same day to make sure she was cared for properly. They told me she was 3 or 4 months old, but from what I can tell she is only 3 weeks old max. I have a Hermanns already and I know that they need different environments. I want to take care of her properly so any help on the habit, diet, etc would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! I'm kind of struggling and I worry because I haven't taken care of a hatchling before. (I don't know the gender, but I just started calling it a girl) Her name is Yoshi.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    918.7 KB · Views: 33

Frogg.Queen

Location (City and/or State)
Oahu, HI
You shouldn't keep the YF with your Hermann's since they're both from different continents and different climates...
Yellowfoots are forest species, so they need high humidity and eat a higher fruit content, and a small amount of protein.
Keep him/her in a 5'x2' enclosure (for her current size, she will grow much larger eventually, like 12"). her humidity should be at about 60-80% at her age, yellow foots love being in water and high humidity. Soak her daily and give her a diet with 60% greens/grasses, and 40%fruits. When she gets older, by maybe a year or so, you should change her diet to have 10% or less of protein. She shouldn't have a LOT of protein, but usually giving her an earthworm once every 1-2 weeks will suffice her. Protein is necessary for a forest tortoise, but too much protein can create health problems. You should NOT use meats or dog food for her protein source, using earthworms or slugs will do... I've even seen some people give their red foots or yellow foots a pinky mouse once a month.
Just like other torts, she'll need a basking spot, water dish, hide, etc... yellowfoots come from a coldish area, so having a basking spot in the low 90's (Fahrenheit), a regular temp in the mid to low 80's, and a cool-off area at mid to high 70's will be best.
If you plan on keeping this tortoise forever, you'll need a much larger enclosure for her in the future, something larger than 10'x10' is good. If you can't provide this, I'd suggest returning the yellowfoot while you can, or selling it to someone else who can provide the necessary care for it when it's full grown... other than that, best of luck