Beginning a tortoise table...need suggestions

Dkozi7

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Here is my base for my tortoise table, an old bookshelf as recommended by a member. I have shower curtains to line the bottom and cypress mulch and coconut coir for bedding. I will have 2 ceramic heaters and a uvb strip light. I plan on covering the top of the smaller section with room for a ceramic heater, this will be their "humid hide". The divider will be cut to allow them to pass through.

My ideas are mixed about the other side. I plan to have the uvb and another ceramic heater on this side but unsure how to do that and also concerned about if humidity should be kept up there as well. If covering it all is recommended, what are some cost effective and semi anestically pleasing ideas? I priced plexi glass and it would be $50 us alone!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species are you housing in this? I see leopard babies in your avatar. Open tables are not suitable leopard tortoises habitats, in my opinion, unless the whole room stays warm and humid day and night all year long, like in a reptile room or fish room.

Closed chambers work best, but tanks or tubs with taller sides can also yield adequate results if done correctly. There is just no way to hold in heat and humidity in a low sided open topped enclosure.

Dkozi7

Georgia
Yes it's for Leos. What would you recommend for enclosing it, still allowing for heat and UVB to be dispersed? Looking for cost effective but also something that doesn't look hideous. I am going to use the existing shelves with room for a heater (on hardware cloth) for the hide box side but was trying to look for alternatives for the other.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How many Leo's, all four that's in the pic? If so, I'm afraid the enclosure looks too small for that many.
As for your question, I would enclosure it all if you can and hang one Che on the one side, the UVB and Che on the other side. Having both Che's on day and night, but of course check temps day and night to see if you need both.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes it's for Leos. What would you recommend for enclosing it, still allowing for heat and UVB to be dispersed? Looking for cost effective but also something that doesn't look hideous. I am going to use the existing shelves with room for a heater (on hardware cloth) for the hide box side but was trying to look for alternatives for the other.

I've never been a fan of the bookshelf thing. I don't find them suitable or built strong enough for tortoise enclosures, so enclosing a bookshelf is not something I'd recommend.

Here is what I recommend:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

This one is good too, but disregard all the heating and lighting stuff:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Many members have made attractive canopies for their tortoise tables. Like a greenhouse top, either store bought or homemade. The canopy can house all heating and lighting while still maintaining appropriate distances.

I used glass tanks but I think with some effort into making a top and creativity with the "interior decorating" you can make this bookshelf work.

Dkozi7

Georgia
Very EARLEY stage and still enclosing the large part with more heat and uvb. The babies seem to love it so far! Humid box is sitting great with humidity and temp. I think this will be a good winter home until they go back outside.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445387468.050809.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Very EARLEY stage and still enclosing the large part with more heat and uvb. The babies seem to love it so far! Humid box is sitting great with humidity and temp. I think this will be a good winter home until they go back outside.

View attachment 153230
That is a good start but in less your house stays very warm you won't be able to keep them warm enough. PVC pipe makes a quick and easy frame. I think the open and is going to be too cold. You can make an A-frame out of PVC or wood, hang they'll lights and see a cheese from it, then put a clear shower curtain or plastic over it. No it won't be the prettiest thing ever but it will work. And it won't cost much.

Dkozi7

Georgia
Yes we are going to make a hardware lid and cover it with pvc fabric except the heat and uvb area.

Dkozi7

Georgia
They are all over a year plus but heating both sides.the enclosure is 6ft by 3 ft.

AnimalLady

I think your enclosure looks great! Like another poster has said, you can try and come up with some sort of canopy top to keep in the heat. Much luck and I look forward to seeing it when its all done!