Tortoise table insulation

Gregor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Slovenia(Europe)
I need to insulate my sulcata closed chamber table so that the electric bill will not rise.
What is the best way to insulate it? Or is there any other way to keep heat inside so that the ceramic heat bulb will not run alot?
Any ideas?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I need to insulate my sulcata closed chamber table so that the electric bill will not rise.
What is the best way to insulate it? Or is there any other way to keep heat inside so that the ceramic heat bulb will not run alot?
Any ideas?
Do you have a photo of you enclosure?

Gregor

5 Year Member
Slovenia(Europe)
So, I am planing to build new bigger closed chamber for my Sulcata.
The space I have available is 5.5 by 3.2 feet, and was thinking of 20 inch tall enclosure.
All fixtures inside.
The place itself has a steady room temperature of 59F. So I was thinking of insulating the sides with 2 inch styrofoam and the roof with 4 inch styrofoam.
Along with plywood sheets.
Will this be enough to keep enclosure at 80? How can I calculate the amount of wattage do I need? Or will it be better to use thicker styrofoam?
The electric bill keeps rising :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Look here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/

Skip all the text and just check out the box construction pics. 1.5" insulation sandwiched by plywood should do the trick for you. Be sure to seal the edges as you build.

5x3' is not going to last a sulcata very long. Well started hatchlings would outgrow that in 6-8 months. What are you going to do when it gets bigger? Heating a small chamber is nothing compared to heating a large room in a frozen winter climate.