Beginning of a Possible Shell rot ?

Eightball

Location (City and/or State)
Quebec
Worry that might be the beginning of an infection. What do you think ?C3B325AA-9D47-4077-9BC8-326F2982F584.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Worry that might be the beginning of an infection. What do you think ?View attachment 335755
Not shell fungus. Nobody really knows what causes those little circles but they tend to appear when a tortoise is well hydrated. In any case, you've got nothing to worry about.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Those circles you see are just water stains from water . It’s totally normal. For whatever reason, water forms into those little circles and are left looking like stains on the scutes/ plastron.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you so much ! I am relieved !
Get yourself a tube of over the counter ATHLETES FOOT CREAM. It should be in the "kit" of every Redfoot keeper.
It doesn't need to be the expensive stuff either. I get mine at the dollar store.
Shell fungus is not unusual with these high humidity and water loving tortoises. Though I agree that I do not see a fungal issue either.
In the future, if theres a question about a fungal issue, just place a small smear of the cream on the area. The great part is that the Athletes foot cream will quickly kill fungus. But if it wasn't needed, the treatment does no harm.
It's a no brainer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get yourself a tube of over the counter ATHLETES FOOT CREAM. It should be in the "kit" of every Redfoot keeper.
It doesn't need to be the expensive stuff either. I get mine at the dollar store.
Shell fungus is not unusual with these high humidity and water loving tortoises. Though I agree that I do not see a fungal issue either.
In the future, if theres a question about a fungal issue, just place a small smear of the cream on the area. The great part is that the Athletes foot cream will quickly kill fungus. But if it wasn't needed, the treatment does no harm.
It's a no brainer.
The middle circle on the pic. The white dry looking area. You wouldn't question that area?
It looks to me it could be the start and I would use the cream on it, no?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The middle circle on the pic. The white dry looking area. You wouldn't question that area?
It looks to me it could be the start and I would use the cream on it, no?
I'm on my phone. And if I zoom in, it still looks pretty superficial to me.
But, like i said. When in doubt, use a tiny dab of that cream and that way you can rest assured that either way, you've handled it.
I HAVE seen fungus start in areas that had been previous scrapes or rub marks.
So, stop it in it's tracks if there is any concern.
You are correct