Bell's Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
BellEnclosure1.jpgBellEnclosure2.jpgI keep my girls (all my tortoises) indoors year round.

My Bell's enclosure is 4' x 6'. One end has a 2' wide cover over it which I have silk plants hanging from. I have clay pot halves under it. It works out well for them in terms of being able to hide (from me!) there. I think they appreciate the privacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's a pretty nice enclosure for your Bell's. If you ever notice a bit of an eye problem in the future, turn off the compact fluorescent light and see if it clears up.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
I haven't had problems with those as others seem to have. I don't typically use them over my large enclosures but the fluorescent strip light fixture over that enclosure gave up a few weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to pick up a new one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its ok...as long as you are aware of it. Some people use them with no problems. Just be aware...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Clarifying a few things, nothing is meant negative either. :p :D

Okay for substrate your using straight cypress mulch?

Do you find your Bells like to bask? If so, how long and how often do yours bask? What light intensity do you normally have?

Do you find any problems with keeping them together? Any territorial issues, dominance, ect?

Have you ever tried real plants with them? If so, what?

What would you say your temps are? Both high/low ends and night/day. How long are lights on?

What would you say there diet is? What do you feed? What percents would you guess of greens, of fruit, of protein?

:rolleyes: Sounds like I am writing a book huh? :D

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
Clarifying a few things, nothing is meant negative either. :p :D

Okay for substrate your using straight cypress mulch?

I use cypress/topsoil. 1:1

Do you find your Bells like to bask? If so, how long and how often do yours bask? What light intensity do you normally have?

I can't say I ever see them bask. I have 125 watt ExoTerra UVB in my spot lights.

Do you find any problems with keeping them together? Any territorial issues, dominance, ect?

My first 2 females got/get along without any problem. The third female is still settling in and seems like she may be a bully. I was hoping that the large amount of space and multiple hides would prevent problems. We'll see. She may end up with her own space.

Have you ever tried real plants with them? If so, what?

Never tried real plants. I have Portulacaria plants growing up. I have a notion to put them in my hinge enclosures but they're a little small.

What would you say your temps are? Both high/low ends and night/day. How long are lights on?

Hot spot around 95. Cool end around 80. At night entire enclosure 76-78. Lights on 12 hours this time of year.

What would you say there diet is? What do you feed? What percents would you guess of greens, of fruit, of protein?

Base of mix greens - green/red leaf, chickory, escarole, romaine.
I blend a mixture of fruits/vegetables which I will throw over the lettuce. Depending on availability that will include white mushrooms, tomatoes, strawberries, zucchini, banana and pumpkin. On alternating feedings I will throw in Mazuri as well. A few times a month, I give them chunk dog food or pinky rats.

:rolleyes: Sounds like I am writing a book huh? :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My adults never eat the real plants I try adding to their enclosures, but the stomp the life out of them rather quickly.

I just realized chicory is something I have not yet tried on mine. Never see it available around here.

Do yours like to soak?

Weldd

10 Year Member!
They also call chickory "Curly Endive" in some places. I'm pretty sure that that was what they called in it Minnesota (We lived there for one year).

I never see them sitting in the water basin in their enclosure but it's obvious that they move through it as the water is dirty every day. I soak them in a rubbermaid tub 1x week. I'm not sure if they like it or not - unless leaving me a GIANT poop is an indication of happiness. If it is they LOVE soaking LOL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.