Bells.. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, Az
So, long story short, this little guy sat in a pet store for 3+ years, and the people there were dyeing to get rid of him. the price tag said $150 and they asked me to make an offer.. I said $20 kiddingly, and they said "cash or charge" lol.
he's in decent enough shape and I have him set up pretty nicely, but its come to my attention that it may not be a bells.
so... what do you hingeback keepers think?
Thanks in advance
IMG_1353.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is most definately a K.spekii :) It helps that it has been illegal to import K.belliana since 2000 :p

Danny

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
egyptiandan said:
It is most definately a K.spekii :) It helps that it has been illegal to import K.belliana since 2000 :p

Danny

Thanks Danny , I was not aware of that lol , is there any difference in husbandry between the two species ?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Not that I know of, but I haven't kept K.spekii for any real length of time. The best person to answer that question would be Jacqui. :) I'm sure she'll be around soon to help out. :D

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kenny said:
Thanks in advance
IMG_1353.jpg

I think I am jealous, is what I think. :p:D Why do I never come across these kinds of deals?

I only have limited experience with the spekii, as I only have a pair and a hatchling. I keep mine pretty much the same, as I do the Bells. My adults are more shy and less into greens or worms then my Bells, but other wise they behave the same. The hatchling is a very aggressive eater (both in amounts eaten and toward any other hatchling near HIS food:D) and loves his worms above all other things.

Welcome to the world of hingebacks.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
Jacqui said:
Kenny said:
Thanks in advance

I think I am jealous, is what I think. :p:D Why do I never come across these kinds of deals?

I only have limited experience with the spekii, as I only have a pair and a hatchling. I keep mine pretty much the same, as I do the Bells. My adults are more shy and less into greens or worms then my Bells, but other wise they behave the same. The hatchling is a very aggressive eater (both in amounts eaten and toward any other hatchling near HIS food:D) and loves his worms above all other things.

Welcome to the world of hingebacks.

Thanks, He's not all that shy which is a plus . So far he seems very keen on shrooms,melon, and mustard. He ignores the worms all together, my Red Foot however... lol
I'll keep you all updated on his progression.
How does his beak look in your opinion?
IMG_1383.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It looks a bit long, but that is fairly common with the fact we seem to feed them mainly soft foods. My personal thought is not to trim them unless they start causing issues with feeding or breaking off. Instead I would be sure to feed him on something like unglazed terra cotta plant saucers, rocks or tiles (along with trying to feed him harder,more fibrous foods and large pieces of leaves so he has to rip them, rather then cutting them up finely for him).
Sounds like he is off to a good start with a variety of food items. I also forgot to say before, that he is very nice looking.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
Jacqui said:
It looks a bit long, but that is fairly common with the fact we seem to feed them mainly soft foods. My personal thought is not to trim them unless they start causing issues with feeding or breaking off. Instead I would be sure to feed him on something like unglazed terra cotta plant saucers, rocks or tiles (along with trying to feed him harder,more fibrous foods and large pieces of leaves so he has to rip them, rather then cutting them up finely for him).
Sounds like he is off to a good start with a variety of food items. I also forgot to say before, that he is very nice looking.

I'm feeding him on a cuttle bone, in hopes that it would trim it down a bit.
I'll keep you all updated.
Thanks

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Wow! That's a pretty good looking animal for a tortoise that's been kept in a pet store for years.
Wish I could find some hingebacks up here in Canada but I doubt that's going to happen any time soon :(

If your hingeback won't accept worms try feeding some snails. I've seen tropical tortoises go ballistic when some snails crawled into the cage :p
The snail shells also help wear the beak down.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
tortoises101 said:
Wow! That's a pretty good looking animal for a tortoise that's been kept in a pet store for years.
Wish I could find some hingebacks up here in Canada but I doubt that's going to happen any time soon :(

If your hingeback won't accept worms try feeding some snails. I've seen tropical tortoises go ballistic when some snails crawled into the cage :p
The snail shells also help wear the beak down.

Thanks. The beak is what worries me with him, he has however been using his sepia bone.
I'll pick up some snails in the next couple days

Status
Not open for further replies.