Best beginner indoor tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corinthia

5 Year Member
As of right now I live in an apartment and will not be able to build an outdoor enclosure until we get our own house in (hopefully) 2 years. What would be the best tortoise that can live indoors, in a large box enclosure, that's cheap-ish ($100 to $200), and easy enough for a beginner.

If you read my introduction, I mentioned that I have 3 cats. But no worries, I have an extra bedroom for the reptile guys just so the kitties don't get too close. ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Hi Corinthia...This is my first Tortoise and it is a Cherry Head Redfoot. It shouldn't get too big, and it can't hibernate. I have it in a planted vivarium because it needs a hot of humidity. In the beginning I tried everything to keep up the humidity and finally decided on a 75 gal aquarium tank. I put a lot of plants in....heat emitter on one side and a long tube 5.0 on the other side. All I do is water the plants twice a week, and mist just the plants a few times a week and now the humidity is fine. I don't have to change the substrate at all ......really twice a year with just quick clean ups...poop..etc. He is very easy to take care of, once I got the temp. and humidity right. I don't know about any other torts...just the Redfoot. If you look at Craigs list in your town, you will find lots of cheap tanks for sale...then all you need is the heat emitter and light fixture.....some plants and substrate.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Hermanns!! They are quite the characters. Very interactive even as hatchlings.

S

stells

Why not do all the research you can over the next couple of years until you can provide an outside enclosure... my personal opinion is that no tortoise should be indoors all year round... they do thrive outside... esp med species...

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
We have a Russian Tortoise and in the same conditions you are. Have a condo and can not build an out door enclosure. We need to keep the humidity down so we use a de-humidifier.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
:D LOL!!! Ask several different people and you'll get several different responses!!

Its going to be up to you to do the research on all of them and see which type of tortoise fits into your lifestyle!

For a tortoise that has to be kept indoors, my personal choice is the redfoot. Its a medium sized tortoise that doesn't require too much UV, so the lighting isn't a big issue.

Yvonne

M

myravolody

Hi
The Mediterranean species (Russian, Greek and Hermann's) are a good option for your situation. They are hardy and remain a reasonable size as adults, less then 10 inches shell length. You might also consider a redfoot which are more tropical and get a little bit bigger (about 10 - 13 inches) then the Mediterraneans. Box turtles are another good choice. They are a land based turtle that closely resemble tortoises with an average adult size of 4 to 6 inches as adults. Their diet is more heavily carnivorous then tortoises so earthworms and other feeder insects would be needed. If you will not be able to house it outdoors year round then definitely avoid getting a sulcata!

samstar

5 Year Member
I got my first tortoises last week. 2 stars and they dont get big at all. I feed them once a day, clean up the astroturf once every 2-3 days and soak them in shallow water every day or every other day. Also stars dont get big at all and make good indoor tortoise pets.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Here in the UK, we only sell:
Hermann
Horsefield
Redfoot
Star
Leopard
Marginata

Here in england we dont have good weather so all of out torts are kept inside, and all are the best tortoise for inside and are a good 1st pet, if u need a food list i have one i cn post to you xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.