Best mediterranean tortoise for me ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonc1991

5 Year Member
hey everyone! i am looking for a tortoise as a new pet ! I have searched around and have decided to get one of these - greek, russian or hermanns. i've read that the hermanns are the most friendly and responsive ones. But i was wondering what you guys think? Which kind is your favorite appearance and there looks ? I can't seem to really distinguish the difference between them. I am looking for a really cute one. haha :) thanks !

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
gordonc1991 said:
hey everyone! i am looking for a tortoise as a new pet ! I have searched around and have decided to get one of these - greek, russian or hermanns. i've read that the hermanns are the most friendly and responsive ones. But i was wondering what you guys think? Which kind is your favorite appearance and there looks ? I can't seem to really distinguish the difference between them. I am looking for a really cute one. haha :) thanks !

They are all about the same (care wise) but the eastern hermanns looks like the tort for you if you want the best looking one out of the three types your looking for. They are all about the same price for a baby.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I love the looks of the Western Hermanns! They also stay smaller than other Mediterranean species, including Eastern Hermanns.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
bettinge said:
I love the looks of the Western Hermanns! They also stay smaller than other Mediterranean species, including Eastern Hermanns.

yes western hermanns are great too it will just cost more for you.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Of the three you've listed, they are nearly equal in care requirements, overall adult size and hardiness. The Eastern Hermann's tends to be more colorful than the other two and generally speaking is the most adaptable of the three to different micro climates and environmental situations. Russians are pretty tough but some individual tend to stay in hiding more often than the other two species. They aren't usually as brightly colored as Eastern Hermann's. The Greeks can vary greatly in color, contrast and hardiness depending upon the subspecies that you get. With the Greeks it's good to know if you've got a Northern Mediterranean or Middle Eastern subspecies since they do have a few subtle care differences. There is also Greek subspecies from North Africa but they are not all that commonly available in the U.S.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi gordonc1991:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Starjelly

5 Year Member
Southern ca. J
I'm not an expert but they all are great tortoises, but Russians will often be un friendlier the Greeks or hermanns but my Russian is very friendly so u never know.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
What climate do you live in? If you live in California, then a Greek tortoise would be well suited there. If you live in the Eastern US, then those conditions are similar to the Hermann tortoise's native range in Europe. And if you live in the Midwest like I do, then that environment is similar to the steppes of Asia where the Russian tortoise comes from.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Welcome and it really is an appearance prefrence between a Russian, Greek, and Hermanns. For the most part, their care and size is very similar. They all are great starter tortoises.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
What about a North African Testudo graeca graeca? They have the same care as the other Mediterranean species but they do not tolerate high humidity well and they're a bit more sensitive to environmental conditions. But on the whole, they're still a great species.

Status
Not open for further replies.