Best pH test?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Are those pH test strips the best method for testing pH?
What do people use for best accuracy?
I'm asking because I have the test strips, and before I put water into my tank, it tests at 6.5 or between that and 7.0. But when I test the water directly from the tank, it tests at 7.5. :(

I'm confused!!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
7.0 is neutral.
With aged water in your tank, it will buffer easier. More water will buffer easier.
There might be an acid condition and an ammonia spike until you get things going.
I find it cheaper to use the kit with the three drops and the little glass bottle and I buffer my PH with a little crushed coral either in the filter or sprinkled in the gravel.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
7.0 is neutral.
With aged water in your tank, it will buffer easier. More water will buffer easier.
There might be an acid condition and an ammonia spike until you get things going.
I find it cheaper to use the kit with the three drops and the little glass bottle and I buffer my PH with a little crushed coral either in the filter or sprinkled in the gravel.
GREAT!!!! WHERE do you get the little glass bottle kit? All I can find here (PetSmart and PetCo) is the test strips.
The crushed coral will lower the pH? Our water is very alkaline...I wonder if it's from the chlorination?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Crushed coral will both make the water more alkaline. (less acidic) And help to buffer/stabilize the levels. Waste matter will soon make the water acidic.
I'm not sure where I got mine. Try Doctors Foster and Smith online. I don't buy much from Petco. At least I haven't. Maybe I will now that I have fewer aquariums.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
7.0 is neutral.
Ignore my previous question! :) I found "fish test kit" on Amazon and I also found the answer to the coral question; unfortunately our water is already very alkaline... I may try the sphagnum moss method...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Crushed coral will both make the water more alkaline. (less acidic) And help to buffer/stabilize the levels. Waste matter will soon make the water acidic.
I'm not sure where I got mine. Try Doctors Foster and Smith online. I don't buy much from Petco. At least I haven't. Maybe I will now that I have fewer aquariums.
Ok- thanks! :)

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
cheap test kits are also sold for hydroponics. I got one where all you have to do is put small amount of water in a tube. Amount of water does not matter as the reaction floats on top when you add 1 drop of reagent. Then you compare the color with a chart.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
A little trick ..... Take your sample to a pool company . I have a friend that works at one that I take water samples to . Then I take that info to my local fish shop . They help me get the water right . Real plants in Little baskets help with water quality . Dead leaves in the bottom help also . Just depends on what you need . I'm no chemist so I take the easy way out .