Best substrate for indoor tortoise and can tortoises get pests?

Shellybob3

Location (City and/or State)
Dewsbury
Hi just wondering on your best suggestion for marginated tortoise substrate? Also when cleaning his tortoise table I've spotted some tiny spider like creatures I think come from the dried grass/hay..I've only seen a couple and they don't seem to affect him, but if anyone's got any advice on bedding I would appreciate it TIA

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I understand from experts here that fine grade orchid bark (Repti-bark) or coconut coir are good substrates. And tortoises can get ticks/lice, I think 🤔.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree or the orchid bark or coconut coir. Never heard of tortoises getting lice. I'm sure then can pick up a tick if he's walking around an infested area.
The substrates usually have tiny bugs that come out after a while. If you bake the orchid bark or coconut coir in the oven at 200-250 for about 3 hours, it will hold them off from showing up a lot longer than if you don't bake it. You can also boil it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi just wondering on your best suggestion for marginated tortoise substrate? Also when cleaning his tortoise table I've spotted some tiny spider like creatures I think come from the dried grass/hay..I've only seen a couple and they don't seem to affect him, but if anyone's got any advice on bedding I would appreciate it TIA
Fine grade orchid bark works best.

Hay has no place in a marginated enclosure. They are not grass eaters, too small to eat dry grass hay, and the hay will mold if the enclosure is suitably damp and humid as it should be.

Look up "spring tails" and see if that looks like your "pest". If yes, they are harmless detrivores. They come from the surrounding environment, and colonize our tortoise enclosures due to the favorable conditions we create in them.

More info here:

Shellybob3

Dewsbury

Hay has no place in a marginated enclosure. They are not grass eaters, too small to eat dry grass hay, and the hay will mold if the enclosure is suitably damp and humid as it should be.

Look up "spring tails" and see if that looks like your "pest". If yes, they are harmless detrivores. They come from the surrounding environment, and colonize our tortoise enclosures due to the favorable conditions we create in them.

More info here:

More info here:
Thanks for you p

More info here:
Thanks for you help 😊