Best substrate for Russian??

SharronT

I have a Russian tortoise, he is currently in a table with organic coco coir...it seems to dry out very quickly and I'm not sure about the fine strands. Please advise me on what you use.

Thanks in advance
Sharron

Linhdan Nguyen

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I use soil, almost same thing but it holds moisture a little better.
Others also use mulch. Cypress or orchid are popular.
If anything, pour water a couple times a week to keep it moist.

SharronT

Thank you!
I have sprayed the coir to damp it down a little. But didn't want it too damp under foot. I Ave some orchid bark so may add some too for an extra texture.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you!
I have sprayed the coir to damp it down a little. But didn't want it too damp under foot. I Ave some orchid bark so may add some too for an extra texture.
Don't be afraid to tip in some water and give it a good mix with your hands. It works better than just spraying the surface

SharronT

OK I will try that. Thank you. I've only had him a few days and want to make suse he is happy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer coco coir for smaller russians, and fine grade orchid bark for older, larger ones.

With any substrate in an open topped enclosure, you will need to regularly dump water in there to keep your substrate damp. Spraying the surface is not very effective, as you've already noticed. How much water to dump and how often will vary with each enclosure, the season, the current weather, etc…

The strands have never been an issue for me.

Have you read these yet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

SharronT

Thank you Tom. I have read through them a couple of times. The Russian I have was neglected by his previous owner so I want to do best by him. He is eating well, I am concerned about his eyes, one eye opens very slightly. The other is closed. I have been soaking him in warm water daily which he seems to enjoy. Is there anything else I can do ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is there anything else I can do ??

Most of the tips I'd give are already in those two links. If you are following that info already, he should get better over time.

You saw the bit about not using coil type bulbs for UV, right?

Good diet, sunshine and exercise (weather permitting…), proper temps, etc.

Some Terramyacin might help the eye if there is any sort of infection or mechanical injury.

SharronT

Yes I am following them. I have a mercury bulb uv and uvb combined exo-terra sola glo. I'm monitoring temp and humidity. He has a cuttle fish in there. And access to shallow water. I have vitamin powder to dust his food. Being in the UK he hasn't been outside yet. I am in the process of building a safe outdoor enclosure.