Best substrate?

CrystalsFamily

5 Year Member
We've had our tortoise Crystal for a little over two weeks now, and I'm happy to report he seems well-adjusted now! I've done a lot of research (the main problem is having found a lot of conflicting info!), so I think we have a pretty decent setup, but I want to get it to the best we can. For substrate, I am currently using coconut coir (half as wet as recommended on the package) with ZooMed Repti-Bark on top (recommended at the pet store and easily available). Do people think the Repti-Bark is a good choice? I've read the recommendation of coir + playsand, but I've also read that sand can irritate their eyes.

And -- how often do people change out the whole batch of substrate? (I clean any poop and pee every day.)

Finally -- also interested in what people really think about humidity for Russians. Currently (winter), ours varies between 30 and 50 on the warm side of the tank. Thanks for any advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The type of substrate you use boils down to a personal choice. It depends upon what you are comfortable using. There are a few things you should not use, sand, walnut shells, etc. But of the good choices, you can use whichever one you like best...what gives you and the tortoise what you're looking for. I like to use the fine grade of orchid bark. If I can't find that, then I'll settle for cypress mulch. I've never cared for coco coir because of the strings, and its messy.

Because all my Russian tortoises are full grown, humidity isn't an issue for them. They live outside and whatever humidity is out there is what they get. In my opinion, Russian tortoises only need humidity when they are babies.

CrystalsFamily

5 Year Member
Thanks, Yvonne. I've appreciated your jumping in twice now when I've asked for advice! The Repti-bark says "fir bark," and I'm not sure if that means cypress?? Where do you buy orchid bark and cypress mulch? I've also wondered where one buys hay, as it seems some people have good luck with putting some of that in to munch on, and it's good for them....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Orchid bark is from fir. The only difference is that when they process it for orchids it has to be very clean/pure. I'm sure the repti-bark is fine.

Russian tortoises might like to burrow down into the hay, but they won't eat it. They mainly like broad-leaf plants and weeds. You can find a feed store (for horses and cattle) and ask if you can scrape up some hay from around the stack. They usually will let you have a little bag full for free.

At the pet store cypress mulch is called Jungle Bed, Forest Floor...different brands call it different names. But you should be able to find it in plant nurseries.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't worry about exact ambient humidity numbers for russians either. I offer them a deep damp substrate to burrow into, and I offer them a humid hide to use, and this seems to do the trick for them.

I would not use any sand. The eye and skin irritation thing is a possibility, but what worries me more is all the sand impaction x-rays that I have seen.

Likewise I wouldn't use any hay as a substrate for them either. With the damp conditions it can mold and mildew. I have used finely blended and re-hydrated hay to "amend" some grocery store greens for them, but like Yvonne said, weeds are best.

CrystalsFamily

5 Year Member
Tom, what do you do for a humid hide? I have seen the suggestion of a sponge inside the hide (which in our case is one of those half logs), but wasn't sure if that applied to Russians. Or do you just spritz the substrate in there frequently?

Crystal seems to want to dig down inside the hide, but it's just a couple inches of substrate. So I piled up substrate at one end to see if he wanted to tunnel into that a bit, but so far he hasn't gone for it.

That would seem to clarify on the sand. Thanks. Sounds like I can stick with the substrate we're using.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CrystalsFamily said:
Tom, what do you do for a humid hide? I have seen the suggestion of a sponge inside the hide (which in our case is one of those half logs), but wasn't sure if that applied to Russians. Or do you just spritz the substrate in there frequently?

Crystal seems to want to dig down inside the hide, but it's just a couple inches of substrate. So I piled up substrate at one end to see if he wanted to tunnel into that a bit, but so far he hasn't gone for it.

That would seem to clarify on the sand. Thanks. Sounds like I can stick with the substrate we're using.

I use black upside down dishwashing tubs from Walmart. They cost about $1.82. I just cut out a door hole big enough for them to fit and keep the substrate under it damp. Plain coco coir is my favorite substrate for young russians and plain orchid bark (fir bark) is my favorite for adults, but either will work for either.