Best Tort species for beginners?

Grapes

By best I mean easiest to take care of and doesn't require being an expert tort keeper. I have a friend who is interested in getting a tort and asked which is best to start out with.
Thanks guys!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome,
I am sure an experienced keeper will be along soon to reply, but in the meanwhile there are lots of caresheets for the different species, so maybe your friend could read those and decide which is most suited to her circumstances - climate, space, etc. That will give her/him a good idea of what will be needed as far as temps humidity diet, substrate are concerned. The bigger the tort is likely to grow the more space will be needed -Leopards and sulcatas can get very big, but all torts are wandering animals and the more space they have the better.
Where in the world is your friend located? Do they have space for an outside enclosure for when the weather is warm enough?
Which ever they choose they will need an initial cash injection to get started, to get the right light/uvb/heat sources etc. for the enclosure.
But before they rush out to a pet store and spend a fortune on expensive, unnecessary accessories and often wrong equipment, tell them to check their shopping list here first - it will save them a lot of money !! Pet stores are out to make a profit and often don't know about the correct care needed so don't be talked into buying everything they suggest.

There is a lot to learn and I'm glad they are able to research first rather than just diving in and then finding out there's more to tort keeping than meets the eye!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello and a warm welcome to you as well as your friend to the forum!:tort:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Any species is possible with the correct set up.
But Greeks, Russians and Hermanns' are often cited as small, hardy tortoises that are good for a first tortoise.

Grapes

Thanks for the replies guys. I've gone over care sheets with them. Just wanted someone else's opinion on what species is easiest to care for. I think a hermanns is right up their alley.

AnimalLady

Hello! Welcome!

I'm pretty much a new tort mom. I started this endeavor with a Russian Tortoise! He's small and hardy and I think forgiving of my new-ness to this whole thing!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Location could be the key as to what the "best" would be............
Like will you be able to keep it out doors, climate and such. For example, in my humble opinion a semi-adult to adult Redfoot is the ideal easy tortoise for anyone living in south Florida that has space in an outdoors yard.

Last edited:

AnimalLady

Location could be the key as to hat the "best" would be............
Like will you be able to keep it out doors, climate and such. For example, in my humble opinion a semi-adult to adult Redfoot is the ideal easy tortoise for anyone living in south Florida that has space in an outdoors yard.

Exactly right, which is why I'm getting my baby in a few! :)

Grapes

He would be able to provide natural sunlight daily but doesn't have a yard.