Bettas

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Ok no bashing me this is all completely serious. I have a 10 gallon tank that I have recently put 2 female bettas in (and 8 neon tetras) I have read many controversial topics about males with other bettas and how they're super aggressive but also that some get along with other females fine ... Suggestions? I have 3 males in desperate housings but was hoping to move 1 into the girl tank but don't want to cause anyone harm. Anyone have suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The biggest thing you are never to do, is put two males together. Males have to live apart. A lot of our fish stores, unless they know you, won't sell more then one male to a customer at a time. Sick people were buying them to fight them and place bets. Just like the sick S.O.B.'s do with the PitBulls and **** Fighting. Now, that said. You can put one male in with the females. However, I don't think only two females are enough. If you could add at least one more female, I think that would be better. More females for him to bother, the less stress on just a couple being bothered. Never would bash for keeping or asking about Bettas, one of my faves.:D. Good luck. Try the two females and one male. If he bugs them a lot, get one or two mor females.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Would you suggest a male I've had for a while or the least time having 3 I have a desision to make, the 2 females are crowntail, I don't know if I should put in my crowntail male (normal size I'd say had him since last dec.) and 2 veiltails one is pretty big and iv had for a while and one is newer and smaller and used to share a dual tank with the older of the 2 girls. (they couldn't see each other) and I'll obviously watch them like a hawk when I first put one in cuz I care about them ALOT

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think, and this is just a guess, I would put the one that is the same kind as the females. If that goes bad, I would then take him out and put the one that has been with the female before. Good luck. Keep me posted on how and who worked out.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
do NOT put the male in with females. Male betta can not live with any other labyrinth fish in the tank (meaning all species of betta, gourami, and paradise fish) The only time males and females should be in the same tank is when breeding, and even then, only for the few hours during the actual mating process while you are watching them like a hawk. The male will chase the females relentlessly, either ending in them bullying him and ripping him to shreds, or him stressing them out so bad that they all die.

And if you are wanting to keep more than one female together, you need to do at least a group of five or more. Several studies show that it would be best to not have any of the females of a similar color, and to try to get them all at roughly the same size. Female bettas kept in groups are really interesting to watch, and when you first put them together, be prepared for some serious fin ripping. The whole group of them will form a hierarchy. With all the betta sororities I've kept, there has always been one alpha female, and two below her that are constantly fighting, and she will split up the fights. The only time you will have problems is when you've got one weak one and the others try to chase her out, then you need to remove her, or if you add a really aggressive female that challenges the accepted "alpha": that usually ends in one of them being dead.

I used to breed betta, with 4 five gallon tanks set up for all my boys and two ten gallons set up for all the ladies, as well as a 20 gallon breeding and fry tank. I've downsized and now only have one five gallon tank with a red crowntail betta in it as well as a 20 gallon with a very lucky, handsome blue butterfly halfmoon betta that basically gets the whole tank to himself since the Endlers are so tiny. If you have any more questions about betta, I can probably answer them, I'm just a little obsessed with them :rolleyes:

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I have an update on this, the day u was going to try to put him in I came home to 3 eaten tetras (well half eaten...) had to drive to the pet store to save the 5 that were left by giving them back and got 3 I think theyre tiger barbs they're up posed to be semi aggressive but less so when they have somewhat of a school, needless to say I've decided just to keep my 2 females and no male

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have 1 male and 2 females in an outside aquarium that have been getting along for over a month, I think part of the trick is when you put them together like this it is best to add them all to the tank at the same time so that none of them have a territory the call theirs, these 3 all come to eat together at the same time, One of the females is the offspring of the male, and all are the same color.The tank is crowded with live plants and plenty of hiding places and each hiding place has 2 entrances- exits, so far no problems.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When ever I bring in a new fish. I always, do a water change, rearrange the decor and turn lights out until the next day. Once they get territorial, it is hard to introduce new fish and them not get beat up. You really have to know the fish you are putting together. I have never had problems with Bettas, 1 male with females and other tropics, in a 29 gal. However, it doesn't always work in every situation either. Same goes with all fish. Some one might be able to mix certain ones and the next guy might not. May I also recommend, never adding more then three new fish at a time. The bio filtration needs time to catch up to the added waste. When too many are added at once, a kill off of fish usually happens. I try to get my sister inlaw to understand this and she never listens. She can't keep a fish past 6 months. Makes me sick how many fish, marine fish she has killed. Take it slow building your stock up. Patience is really important in starting up a fish tank espescially a new tank. My marine tank has been set up for approx. 10 years or more. A long time. I still take it slow when I get new fish. A tank is not completely seasoned and still considered new, until it has been up and running for 6 months to a year, with little or not problems. Slow and easy will work the best every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.