Big Bertha Doing Great

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The foam at the mouth suggests she got too hot. Hopefully you can bring her around. I would use a CHE instead of a light for a while, with plenty of shelter for her to get away from the direct heat.
She's inside my enclosed porch with temps around 10 to 15 degrees cooler than outside and she has no other heat source. I place her outdoors almost everyday but didn't today Bacause of all of the rain and mud.
She is sleeping now with her head and legs pulled in and she wiggled when I touched her shell at her rear end.
What could possibly be going on?
I'll check on her first thing in the morning. If I sleep that is..
Clearly I was wrong and she is not dead.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't want to raise hopes, as she's probably dead, but aren't tortoises supposed to go stiff and have shrunken eyes when they're dead?
i've heard of them going into shock and being seemingly dead and not reacting to a stimulus and then recovering.
if you are in any doubt at all then give her warm soaks and touch her feet .
I'm horrified by this, but would feel awful if I thought that you'd buried a live tortoise.
Sorry again, Ed, but I was fond of the little girl myself.
Sorry.
I already had a burial spot picked out. But she is coming back around...

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Wow, I can't believe this!! I have been reading every Bertha post throughout this whole saga, I am so glad there is hope!! Thoughts and prayers are with you. What an emotional roller coaster.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Wow, I'm so glad I read all the responses because I was just going to leave my condolences to you!!

That girl is a fighter!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Once a tortoise dies, their eyes sink in and of course they stiffen
I am thinking she may have suffered a stroke or seizure, def. tare but not unheard of.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Yes and I'd like to apologize to anyone I've made crazy by all of these posts.
The truth is that there is no one here locally that gives a damn.
I do my venting here.
OMG?!!? I just read this and nearly cried...I don't know you or Big Bertha but I have been following your posts in regards to her and when I saw this post...it broke my heart. As I read more I couldn't believe she's still alive. I'm rooting for her. Not sure what's going on with her but she's had one hell of a year so far. She's a fighter. I'll be itching to hear about any new updates on Bertha. And...vent away. We are all here for ya! Fingers crossed for Big Bertha!!!