Big Bertha Doing Great

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Well, I guess I wouldn't expect her to eat after her traumatic day yesterday. It seems like tortoises really perk up when they're outside, maybe try to keep her out more today? Just a thought though. I'm glad she still with us. Let us know what the vet says.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
She is alive this morning and won't come out of her shell although when I put her outside this morning she walked about five feet to sit on a cement pad.
She is once again very lethargic and she is no longer eating and not drinking when i soak her so it's all tube feedings again.
She and I and her poo sample are going back to the vet for the most extensive round of tests ever.
No NOT dead.
Good luck at the vets. I bet she's just shuck up after her ordeal. Fingers crossed here for you.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
She is alive this morning and won't come out of her shell although when I put her outside this morning she walked about five feet to sit on a cement pad.
She is once again very lethargic and she is no longer eating and not drinking when i soak her so it's all tube feedings again.
She and I and her poo sample are going back to the vet for the most extensive round of tests ever.
No NOT dead.
Ed. I'm far from a vet. But could she have water in her lungs. Has your vet suggested pipe feeding again. If she does have water in her is pipe feeding wise. Just a thought and hope someone else on here can comment on this.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ed. I'm far from a vet. But could she have water in her lungs. Has your vet suggested pipe feeding again. If she does have water in her is pipe feeding wise. Just a thought and hope someone else on here can comment on this.
She was fitted with an Esophagostamy tube. It's a simple surgery that places a tube semi permanently into her stomach to inject food directly into the stomach.
I don't feed her with a pipette as is more common.
This tube enters her body at the base of her neck and makes normal eating also possible.
My vet hasn't answered her Emails. I already have an appointment for Thursday. I'm going to try to see her sooner. It was an appointment to see about removing the tube. Now it's going to be another battery of tests.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
She was fitted with an Esophagostamy tube. It's a simple surgery that places a tube semi permanently into her stomach to inject food directly into the stomach.
I don't feed her with a pipette as is more common.
This tube enters her body at the base of her neck and makes normal eating also possible.
My vet hasn't answered her Emails. I already have an appointment for Thursday. I'm going to try to see her sooner. It was an appointment to see about removing the tube. Now it's going to be another battery of tests.
OK. How are you holding up. It's been one heck of a rollercoaster with Bertha.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I feel like I should send her a care package full of...everything. I have so much tort food and I just want her to eat.....it's a mom thing, when I worry I want to feed critters....o_O
So glad to hear she is hanging in there, and thank you for keeping us updated. I know I am not the only one worrying and obsessing over her.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Glad that she is hanging in. Big Bertha us a tough broad. I hope you are as tough as her!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you posted about the turn of events. You know we are all pulling for the two of you. I would imagine she would still be very weak after all that has been happening. I think I would keep up the pedialyte soaks. Maybe add some baby food carrots to the soaks too. Hang in there. We are here for you.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
I suppose the good thing is that she was eating better before this setback so she must have a little reserve in her.
Watching and waiting for the latest news.
Hope you are OK Ed.

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California
Ed, I'm so sorry for your loss.
Your efforts were heroic!
I look forward to reading anything else you will post.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think my ulcer has returned.
This is nuts.
I'm getting every test that I can done. This has to stop.
I'll update once I've spoken to my vet.
So you don't know exactly what happened yesterday? Any guesses? I wouldn't be too worried about her not eating and things right now, sounds like she was through a lot yesterday. She may be the most tested and documented tortoise on this forum :) we are all rooting for her and I respect the fact that you are still trying and doing what you can for her. That takes dedication.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Considerably better than what we thought for a while.
She so wants to live, like Tidgy when i first got her.
Months of fighting, pain and anguish for us both, but she made it in the end.
keep going.
Both of you.