biting tortoise

melyssaandmorla

So my tortoise has rencelty started biting everything. Blankets, cloths, bags, me! Anything he's near really. I was wondering of this is just curious behaviour and something I can train out?? If that's an option. Or if its because he's missing something in his diet or he's bored or something. Please help! He sneaks up on me when he's out and bites:confused:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russian, right? When my russians see me coming with food, one of them marches fast as she can towards me holding her mouth open. I'm going to try to remember to bring my camera next time I feed them.

Your tortoise is probably looking for food. A lot of them don't realize you BRING food, they think of you as the food itself.

Last edited:

melyssaandmorla

Russian, right? When my russians see me coming with food, one of the marches fast as she can towards me holding her mouth open. I'm going to try to remember to bring my camera next time I feed them.

Your tortoise is probably looking for food. A lot of them don't realize you BRING food, they think of you as the food itself.
He's a hermann:) I thought it might be that too, cause he also does that when I bring food. He goes a bit bonkers:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He shouldn't be roaming your house, specially if he is trying to bite anything and everything. Very dangerous for him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Barb. Your tortoise should not have access to all those things. Your tortoise needs to be contained in its enclosure where it is safe and the temperatures are correct.

Some tortoises bite to be territorially aggressive and some do it to sample their environment to see if things are edible. The latter could be deadly for a tortoise that is allowed to roam loose.

What do you typically feed your tortoise? Sometimes diet can be a factor in this behavior.

melyssaandmorla

He shouldn't be roaming your house, specially if he is trying to bite anything and everything. Very dangerous for him.
No no, he doesn't roam the house when I have him out I always supervise. It's when I have him out and I glance at my phone for example and he runs up and bites my leg or goes after my toes:p:D

melyssaandmorla

I agree with Barb. Your tortoise should not have access to all those things. Your tortoise needs to be contained in its enclosure where it is safe and the temperatures are correct.

Some tortoises bite to be territorially aggressive and some do it to sample their environment to see if things are edible. The latter could be deadly for a tortoise that is allowed to roam loose.

What do you typically feed your tortoise? Sometimes diet can be a factor in this behavior.
He eats a mix of leafy lettuce, collard greens, curly kale, dandelion greens, occasional squash and berries. And when he's outside clover leaves and flowers, plantains. And I use a calcium supliment and super veggie :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have bright colored nail polish or socks on? They seem to be attracted to red, white and I'm sure other bright colors. I have a couple torts that are attracted to my gold ankle bracelet. Mine don't try to bite, but I don't give them a chance too either.

melyssaandmorla

Do you have bright colored nail polish or socks on? They seem to be attracted to red, white and I'm sure other bright colors. I have a couple torts that are attracted to my gold ankle bracelet. Mine don't try to bite, but I don't give them a chance too either.
He usually bites my blankets which are grey or my fingers or toes with or without nail polish and any cloths any colour im wearing haha black, white, grey anything.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I got bit by one of my Box turtles earlier. I do believe they associate my hands with food now. They will chase my fingers any time I'm doing anything in the enclosure. Earlier I was cleaning out the water dish and had one hand on the rock next to the bowl. Next thing I know one had clamped down on my finger. It let go quickly but still enough to hurt somewhat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, I don't know then. He must just be a biter or is trying to say hey, give me food. I have read where some torts like to ram their owners and others that do like to bite. I have one leopard that today came right at me, to my feet and I think want to take a nibble. This leopard would normally not want to be close to me. He either is getting to like me, or mad that I took him from his pen to a larger one so he could explore.

melyssaandmorla

Well, I don't know then. He must just be a biter or is trying to say hey, give me food. I have read where some torts like to ram their owners and others that do like to bite. I have one leopard that today came right at me, to my feet and I think want to take a nibble. This leopard would normally not want to be close to me. He either is getting to like me, or mad that I took him from his pen to a larger one so he could explore.
Fair enough:p i figured it was probably something foolish like that haha. Just wanted to make sure it was sorta normal and not something I could prevent or fix:) thanks alot :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He eats a mix of leafy lettuce, collard greens, curly kale, dandelion greens, occasional squash and berries. And when he's outside clover leaves and flowers, plantains. And I use a calcium supliment and super veggie :)

He might be craving more fiber in his diet. Or the berries might be upsetting his stomach and throwing off the balance of the flora and fauna in the gut.

What type of lighting and UV do you use? Any colored bulbs?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Fair enough:p i figured it was probably something foolish like that haha. Just wanted to make sure it was sorta normal and not something I could prevent or fix:) thanks alot :)

Polished toes are a bonus, but naked toes will wiggle just as fun....sometimes I will become involved in pulling some weeds and such and will not pay attention to the tort and will suddenly find one trying to push me about..or nibbling on the wiggling toes....either way he gets a start out of me and I kinda think he may find it fun to chase the "thing" in his yard...lol...:p

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry don't know what advise to give you, but take care: a member was bitten by a tort and it cost this person stitches! :( Don't mean to scare you but: "better be safe than sorry."

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure.
And welcome to the forum! :tort:

melyssaandmorla

He might be craving more fiber in his diet. Or the berries might be upsetting his stomach and throwing off the balance of the flora and fauna in the gut.

What type of lighting and UV do you use? Any colored bulbs?
I have a tube light for uv I beleive it is a 12.0 if im remembering right it covers almost the entire length of his enclosure. And his hot spot bulb is off to the side and it stays around 90°-93°. And for the entire enclosure itself I have a heat pannle so it keeps everything around 80°-84° and his cool side is around 75°

keithsf

5 Year Member
tortoise%2Bstrawberry.jpg

It's because you're actually a giant strawberry! ;)