Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just a note of clarification about eating seeds. Most seeds just pass right on through the digestive tract and come out whole, not doing the tortoise any good at all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just a note of clarification about eating seeds. Most seeds just pass right on through the digestive tract and come out whole, not doing the tortoise any good at all.

When I feed my tortoises whole pumpkins in the Fall, many of the passed seeds will germinate all around the pen during the rainy season.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, that is the animal's job, afterall - seed disperser!

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm starting to think melon seeds can be used as a "de-wormer" every few months... Since I believe deworming medication is too strong for regular use, am I right?

Fenbendazole or panacur is very safe. I have used Safeguard 10 percent paste for horses for many years with no adverse effect on tortoises. The course of administration is repeated over several days. Most any animal that grazes is susceptible to parasites. The Safeguard works on just about all of them except for some of the tapeworms. But I have discontinued routine worming and only recommend in active cases when symptoms are present that can't be attributed to any other cause or when the presence of worms is detected in stool. I feed the whole pumpkin as a possible preventative measure and because the tortoises like it at the end of the season. I also don't recommend the administration of any medication without consultation with a knowledgeable veterinarian.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Pumpkin seeds and papaya seeds are both known for anti-parasitic properties... there's folklore and anecdotal stories and research in support of their efficacy.

Jamie

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a very old thread. The OP no longer visits here.

Status
Not open for further replies.