PUMPKIN OR SEEDS? PLEASE VARIFY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have read on here that pumpkin is good for deworming. Then I have also read that it's the seeds of the pumpkin that is the dewormer. Which one or both?

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I've been reading this too, I took it as the seeds are what is used for deworming. Of course I'm not sure, so I bet this was real useful to you, lol :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Use both. But put the seeds and pumpkin into a puree or blender so its opens the seeds up and mixes with the pumpkin meat and they gobble it up.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The pumpkin itself is not for deworming. have read many many times about pumpkin seeds ground up can do it, but I can't say why or have any evidence to back it up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, the both of you (Laurie and Tortadise)aren't helping, have you had a hard day? :p :D
I do know you can feed both. However, I have heard both is a good dewormer. So, which one actually deworms? The ground seeds? The pumpkin meat? Or both?

dmmj said:
The pumpkin itself is not for deworming. have read many many times about pumpkin seeds ground up can do it, but I can't say why or have any evidence to back it up.

Thank you for clearing this up. I was hoping it was the pumpkin meat too. My son and I love to flavor, bake and eat the seeds ourselves:)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its the seeds. But its very hard to give your tort ground up seeds, so ground the seeds up then puree it with the pumpkin because they will eat the pumkin. Keep in mind this is a homeopathic remedy, its not going to deworm like a panacur or flagyle will. It merely clears bad bacteria that is all. But it doesnt hurt anything.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
tortadise said:
Its the seeds. But its very hard to give your tort ground up seeds, so ground the seeds up then puree it with the pumpkin because they will eat the pumkin. Keep in mind this is a homeopathic remedy, its not going to deworm like a panacur or flagyle will. It merely clears bad bacteria that is all. But it doesnt hurt anything.

Thanks. I don't think my little Leo has worms. Just wanted to be sure I new which one.
So, it won't hurt either then, to give it as a preventative either right?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
wellington said:
tortadise said:

Thanks. I don't think my little Leo has worms. Just wanted to be sure I new which one.
So, it won't hurt either then, to give it as a preventative either right?

Yep, perfectly fine to use as a preventative. They love pumpkin too. Its full of vitamin A as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.