Pumpkin seeds or no seeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Ok it's pumpkin time here in the mid-west. I have read many conflicting ways to feed pumpkin. Some say feed all including the seeds, some say no seeds. I read somewhere not to feed pie pumpkin. So what do you think??? Is a plain old carving kind ok? That is what I have fed in the past and now I find myself second guessing with all the conflicting info. I have never fed the seeds but would if it's ok.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I think it would depend on the size of the tortoise in comparison to the size of the seeds, the seeds will just pass through undigested.

John1982

5 Year Member
Baked pumpkin seeds for you!! Give the tort everything else. :D

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I was told that the seeds can be a dewormer. Anyone else no anything about that.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Definitely feed the seeds...some for your tort and some for you. Seriously, they're great roughage and will clean him out good!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
This is not a big deal. If you feed the seeds, they will pass through.

A lot of people think that the seeds act as a natural de-wormer, although there is little clinical proof of this. Since torts do not normally break the seed shell, you need to crack, chop, or break them first.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Can you feed the stringy stuff that the seeds are all tangled in? Or do they eat the sides/walls of the pumpkin?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For my smaller/younger tortoises, I blend the entire pumpkin. Older ones get the solid chunks. The bigger ones have no problem eating even the skin. The stringy stuff is fed and eaten, too.:)

chadk

10 Year Member!
I put seeds, stringy center, walls, and skin in the Vita Mixer and blend them up so the seeds are all finely chopped. Pour the mush into a bowl, maybe add some mazuri, and let them chow down. And just for fun and as a treat, they get to attack a whole pumpkin about once a week while supplies last :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, pumpkins seeds do act as a de-wormer, however, you have to grind them up and feed them. Otherwise, they just pass right through.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Buying a small pumpkin this weekend! Can't wait to offer it to the torties.

Is it ok for Russians?

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Vail Colorado
Missy said:
I was told that the seeds can be a dewormer. Anyone else no anything about that.

Yes, I use a powder that has finely ground pumpkin seeds as the main ingredient for the purpose of ridding amphibians and reptiles of worms and parasites and as a mild laxative. It seems to work well, judging from the droppings I've seen, and I use it on new arrivals that are in quaratine, especially if they were wild caught, though I try to avoid buying such creatures. The product is called "Worm Guard," by Nature Zone and includes Black Walnut, Cloves, Black Cumin and Thyme among a few other ingredients.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Thanks for all the great advise :) Anyone use pie pumpkins? I can get those for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.