Blind hatchling

Heather White

Hello fellow tortoise lovers. A few weeks ago I got 3 hatchlings. I only planned on getting 2. When I got there he said he actually had 3, but the third one was blind. Goodness, obviously I couldn't take the 2 " and leave a man behind" at first I was worried that it was just a sick one maybe runt? But he seems to find his way to food fish and eat, so I believe he is really blind fir some reason and not just sick. ANY ADVICE AS HOW TO LOVE HIM MORE THAN I DO OR SPECIAL CARE?

yillt

Hello fellow tortoise lovers. A few weeks ago I got 3 hatchlings. I only planned on getting 2. When I got there he said he actually had 3, but the third one was blind. Goodness, obviously I couldn't take the 2 " and leave a man behind" at first I was worried that it was just a sick one maybe runt? But he seems to find his way to food fish and eat, so I believe he is really blind fir some reason and not just sick. ANY ADVICE AS HOW TO LOVE HIM MORE THAN I DO OR SPECIAL CARE?
Make everything easy for him. Small food, in a dish, not on a slate. No drops obviously, shallow water dish with a rock in the middle. Please could we see some photos and welcome to TFO!! :D

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow....three baby sullys to take care of and raise and feed and keep happy. We have our hands full with one! Good luck and hope you have acres of lush, green weeds, beautiful dandelions, and bountiful bales of hay!

Get the pixs coming in. Good luck.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I had hatch out for me an eyeless sulcata. Not so much as blind…simply no eyes. I don't really remember but it seems as though it lived for a number of months. I did nothing special for its care that differed from my other hatchlings.
It found the food and water and hide all on its own without me having to help out. It did though, pass away. I'm figuring the lack of eyes weren't the only thing messed up/wrong with the little bugger. Here are some pictures; ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485699313.444835.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485699415.886653.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485699517.347266.jpgsorry for the poor quality of the photos. Tortoise+phone camera+bad angle…you get it, right?

yillt

I had hatch out for me an eyeless sulcata. Not so much as blind…simply no eyes. I don't really remember but it seems as though it lived for a number of months. I did nothing special for its care that differed from my other hatchlings.
It found the food and water and hide all on its own without me having to help out. It did though, pass away. I'm figuring the lack of eyes weren't the only thing messed up/wrong with the little bugger. Here are some pictures; View attachment 198456View attachment 198457View attachment 198458sorry for the poor quality of the photos. Tortoise+phone camera+bad angle…you get it, right?
Awww. He's sweet. Such a shame he passed away.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Please I beg your pardon for poor spelling and improper punctuation and possibly even broken up sentences.

Heather White

It found the food and water and hide all on its own without me having to help out. It did though, pass away. I'm figuring the lack of eyes weren't the only thing messed up/wrong with the little bugger. Here are some pictures; View attachment 198456View attachment 198457View attachment 198458sorry for the poor quality of the photos. Tortoise+phone camera+bad angle…you get it, right?
Oh goodness,

Attachments

• 20170131_174017.jpg
    20170131_174017.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
So I should expect poor blind guy to pass?
I can't say one way or the other. I'm letting you know what ended up happening with mine. I agree with the posts the suggest doing things like chopping it's food very fine to ease the eating, maybe even giving him his own space for warm, noncompetitive feeding. Helping it find the warm/humid hide as well. My main desire is for you to have a wonderful longtime buddy.

Heather White

I can't say one way or the other. I'm letting you know what ended up happening with mine. I agree with the posts the suggest doing things like chopping it's food very fine to ease the eating, maybe even giving him his own space for warm, noncompetitive feeding. Helping it find the warm/humid hide as well. My main desire is for you to have a wonderful longtime buddy.

Bee62

Germany
I read your thread from the beginning on. And my heart always said: It`s good that you took the little blind guy !
Because I would have done it like you. I would have bought the blind one too.
No one could say if it`s only the blindness or if he has more physical defects. Time will show you more.
Mayby he is not so sick as the little tort of @Cowboy_Ken.
To take care of him as good as you can und to love him, is all you can do. The rest is in Gods hands.
I wish you the very best for your little blind guy.

Sabine

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
No one can say if it`s only the blindness or if he has more physical defects. Time will show you more.
Mayby he is not so sick as the little tort of @Cowboy_Ken.
So take care of him as good as you can and to love him, is all you can do. The rest is in Gods hands.
I wish you the very best for your little blind guy.

Sabine
I'm having a hard time remembering exactly, but it seems to me mine lived at the very least 2 months, maybe more.
From your pictures, it looks as though yours has more developed eye areas than mine did. This might be an advantage for yours that mine was lacking.

Heather White

I'm having a hard time remembering exactly, but it seems to me mine lived at the very least 2 months, maybe more.
From your pictures, it looks as though yours has more developed eye areas than mine did. This might be an advantage for yours that mine was lacking.