Blood in urine?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
That's not good hope you get it sorted. Maybe try to get paper under the tail area to to ensure not a rip /wound or a vet visit to check internally especially if this is not first time.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
That's not good hope you get it sorted. Maybe try to get paper under the tail area to to ensure not a rip /wound or a vet visit to check internally especially if this is not first time.
I collected separate samples of everything. I have a vet that has crazy hrs. She opens at 5pm and closes at midnight on Monday. Will definitely going to contact her at 5pm.
I keep a close eye on Opo. This is the first time I have seen blood.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Vet looked at stool sample and blood sample. She thinks since there was no blood in his stool. The bleeding came from the cloaca by the vent. She said watch his bowel movements.I f there is blood again bring him in. I think I might have a x-ray done. Just to get a look and see if everything is normal. She asked if there was anything sharp in his stool. I didn't know, I should have checked the feces for sharp objects. Will be bringing another sample tomorrow.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
This is just a guess - they sometimes get 'friskie' when straining to poop. Perhaps his penis came out and he scratched a cut on it which bled.
That was also another option the vet had suggested. She was less concerned about it being something worse. She said if the blood had been dark and also in the feces. That there would be problems in the upper GI. I will be watching him like a hawk for the next few days. Also Opo often has his out penis when going poo.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
That was also another option the vet had suggested. She was less concerned about it being something worse. She said if the blood had been dark and also in the feces. That there would be problems in the upper GI. I will be watching him like a hawk for the next few days. Also Opo often has his penis when going poo.
My Sammy has had his penis out and scratch it on the cement. I think he has learned not to bring it out during his walk, only when he is soaking. Sammy has bitten large pieces of cuttlebone before, found some large pieces in his poo and was surprised that he could swallow it.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My Sammy has had his penis out and scratch it on the cement. I think he has learned not to bring it out during his walk, only when he is soaking. Sammy has bitten large pieces of cuttlebone before, found some large pieces in his poo and was surprised that he could swallow it.
I think that might be what happened. Opo was hanging out on the porch. So I kept feeding him so he might poop. He did and no blood at all. His last bit of poop his penis came straight out the back. I almost branded my pistol. 🤣I am going to check if his shell has any sharp edges. I didn't think of checking when I was outside. I am not going back out there until this evening. TO HOT🥵

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Just took this pic. The way it is arranged is Opo peed first with some urates. Pooped and then expelled the blood. Acting normal and eating well. I figure this is not good news.
@Tom @Yvonne G
View attachment 356958
Depending on your area the problem with most vets in my area is they're good with cats and dogs but they don't know much about reptiles so if possible find a reptile vet

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Depending on your area the problem with most vets in my area is they're good with cats and dogs but they don't know much about reptiles so if possible find a reptile vet
My vet has a good reputation on exotic pets. Florida Wild and Game bring her the injured animals they come across. She has a sulcata brought to her that got the side of the shell run over by a car. She reconstructed the carapace and plastron. The sulcata lives with her now. It's been like 6 years when she treated the sully. I hope I have a good vet. I did a little research on her.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well I was on poop patrol again this afternoon. Everything went fine but I have only seen Opo's penis at ease.😆
This afternoon it was at full attention while pooping. So he was standing tall on the concrete. 🤣
I think @Yvonne G made the right call on this one.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well I was on poop patrol again this afternoon. Everything went fine but I have only seen Opo's penis at ease.😆
This afternoon it was at full attention while pooping. So he was standing tall on the concrete. 🤣
I think @Yvonne G made the right call on this one.
And well...then that tells me I wasn't being totally ridiculous when I totally freaked out the first time I saw that thing. Sapphire could have hurt himself after all. He was standing tall though.🤔 maybe he already had learned his lesson.🤗