Blood puddle from sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Aha! It's what I thought because females would have much more reasons to bleed like that than males. Besides, there would have to be some good reason for the male to injure his penis in that way and you'd more likely would know it. That female needs to go to the vet asap. Please check that there isn't any prolapse going on. Keep us posted. If possible, give us pics of both male and female bottoms.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Yes they are seperated and ive noticed they are finally fine. Im thinking it was something simular to a miscarriage

EricIvins

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Aha! It's what I thought because females would have much more reasons to bleed like that than males. Besides, there would have to be some good reason for the male to injure his penis in that way and you'd more likely would know it. That female needs to go to the vet asap. Please check that there isn't any prolapse going on. Keep us posted. If possible, give us pics of both male and female bottoms.

All it take is for the Female to either take off or move the wrong way......That part isn't exactly a slinky......

murdocjunior said:
Yes they are seperated and ive noticed they are finally fine. Im thinking it was something simular to a miscarriage

Tortoises cannot "miscarriage" or experience anything that comes close........If they do "miscarriage" in a human sense, they either lay infertiles or unshelled Ova, none of which looks like anything you have posted.......

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Eric here. I think he is speaking from experience and so am I. There are a lot of sharp edges on the backs of those shells and a lot of weight moving around when they are doing the deed. The main problems a female would experience would be egg binding, or some problem with proper shell formation as Eric mentioned. Short of some sort of very unlikely intestinal perforation, there is really no reason for blood to come from a female. When I first saw the blood pool I checked all the tortoises and found blood all around the back of one female. I assumed it was her. When I found the next blood pool, that same female was totally clean. The male had gotten HIS blood all over the back end of her while repeatedly tried to mate her with his injured organ.

Eric, do tortoises have hemipens? Ive only ever seen a single organ protruding, but I'm no tortoise anatomy expert. Please educate me.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Wow well thanks for all the info and education. Theres no more blood so ill see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.