Blood Work?

peridot

Location (City and/or State)
NC
3 years ago I adopted a tortoise with A LOT of medical issues (MBD, pneumonia, eye infection). I was able to get him over all those hurdles, but am constantly worried about his health.

He's currently 230g. Would it be a good idea at his next wellness checkup to get blood work done? Would he be big enough for something like that? I wasn't sure if there as an ideal weight for blood work.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I mean, if his weight, condition, and activities are all as they should be...

...a blood draw would be really stressful. Unless you are looking for something specific?

Do something non-invasive, like a stool analysis (or even a culture if you want to go further).

And Well Done for all your hard work!

peridot

NC
I mean, if his weight, condition, and activities are all as they should be...

...a blood draw would be really stressful. Unless you are looking for something specific?

Do something non-invasive, like a stool analysis (or even a culture if you want to go further).

And Well Done for all your hard work!

His weight is WAY off from what it should be because of all his issues, but he is growing and not loosing any. He moves around normally and eats normally, too. I guess I'm just paranoid that all of his issues could have left something wrong on the inside? I would love to get all his organ values to see if they're normal. But, if you think something like that would be too stressful, it would probably be best just to keep an eye on him.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
His weight is WAY off from what it should be because of all his issues, but he is growing and not loosing any. He moves around normally and eats normally, too. I guess I'm just paranoid that all of his issues could have left something wrong on the inside? I would love to get all his organ values to see if they're normal. But, if you think something like that would be too stressful, it would probably be best just to keep an eye on him.

Well, they have to be restrained, manipulated, held steady, and then poked. Even with professionals who do this regularly, the effect on the tort can be rough.

Some testing on clean urine and fresh stool is a great place to get some baseline info, and can indicate whether going to invasive steps is necessary.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you have a vet with actual tortoise experience?
If yes, a stool and blood sample, with an x ray can be part of a wellness checkup. Especially if your vet has seen the animal before and has a "baseline"from the last visit.
If it's not an exotic vet. I'd save my money until I found one. A lot of vets that don't fully understand tortoises try injections and procedures that they read about from some old, dusty veterinarian book with old, outdated information.
I myself do not do yearly wellness visits. And I have a fantastic vet.
I've grown spoiled by having such a healthy, harmonious group.
The exam is up to you.
It won't hurt. And could possibly find an issue.

Last edited: