Desert tortoise health is questionable :( need guidance.

GusBus

Location (City and/or State)
CO
Tortoise has questionable health. Need guidance.

Hang in there with the details. My desert tortoise is around 40 years old. I adopted him about 2 years ago. According to a previous owner, he has had a rough 40+ years and it shows in his shell. He has been fed dog food most of his life (this crushes my heart). I’ve also been told that he has gone into hibernation every year regardless of a respiratory infection that finally was resolved last year.

When we adopted him the vet said do not let him hibernate because of a respiratory infection. He was active in the house and in his enclosure that winter. This past summer he had an outdoor roaming enclosure that was very large and then he would open the screen door when the Sun was going down to come inside. We changed his diet, his husbandry, soaking, vitamins, you name it.

In the past couple of months he has declined. He only eats once a week, maybe twice, I have to force him to bask and he has general malaise. I took him up to CSU vet hospital for a full analysis. We did X-rays, blood work, a physical and he even spent the night for review.

Sadly, they found fluid in his abdomen and say he ‘might’ be suffering from a terminal illness. His blood work came back unremarkable which they said doesn’t necessarily tell a full story. They can’t figure out what is wrong with him without going into his shell for a sample of the fluid but that would require an operation that he might not live through.

I’m so sad and very confused. Has anyone heard of this? Is my little buddy not well? Any insight of knowing about something like this please let me know. And please, be sensitive. Thank you and wishing all the tortoises a healthy journey and loving homes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First, its not legal to have a DT in CO, so keep that on the down low. Are you sure its a DT and not a sulcata? Can we see a picture or two?

Start with this, and then we can get specific about care details once we are sure what species we are talking about:

GusBus

CO
First, its not legal to have a DT in CO, so keep that on the down low. Are you sure its a DT and not a sulcata? Can we see a picture or two?

Start with this, and then we can get specific about care details once we are sure what species we are talking about:

GusBus

CO
Wow! This is an amazing write up and so so helpful. Thank you Tom! I’m going to make some immediate changes to his enclosure tomorrow morning.

As for Gus, I do have papers for him and a permit to possess him in Colorado. He has a California tag as well from the CTTC adoption program stating he is in fact a desert tortoise. He has been in Colorado since ‘96.

The sad part is, I know he was being poorly taken care of prior and so we were desperate to get him out of his situation. I am just at a loss with his condition right now and I am a wreck. Poor buddy. I just want to make it better for him asap. He is on turtle time so I might not see an immediate change. He did eat today and decided to soak himself and bask. So today was a good day.

Thank you for all the support. I’m grateful and willing to do what I have to do to make him better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow! This is an amazing write up and so so helpful. Thank you Tom! I’m going to make some immediate changes to his enclosure tomorrow morning.

As for Gus, I do have papers for him and a permit to possess him in Colorado. He has a California tag as well from the CTTC adoption program stating he is in fact a desert tortoise. He has been in Colorado since ‘96.

The sad part is, I know he was being poorly taken care of prior and so we were desperate to get him out of his situation. I am just at a loss with his condition right now and I am a wreck. Poor buddy. I just want to make it better for him asap. He is on turtle time so I might not see an immediate change. He did eat today and decided to soak himself and bask. So today was a good day.

Thank you for all the support. I’m grateful and willing to do what I have to do to make him better.
If you liked that one, here is another pertaining to your situation:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
His problem is the time of year. Doesn't matter if a brumating type of tortoise is housed indoors or not, they can sense the time of year and they know it's time to slow down, clean out their digestive tract, and start looking for a place to brumate. You've got to try to make him think it's really summer if you don't want him to brumate. Buy an LED light for the brightness (LED lights are VERY bright), and keep it on for 14 hours a day. Keep his enclosure warm day and night, with only a SLIGHT drop in temperature at night. Soak him daily in warm water. Keep interrupting him throughout the day. Don't let him get comfortable. Every time you think of it pull him out of hiding and place him in front of the food. In fact, my sister used to wrap a towel around the tortoise to contain any messes, and then walk around doing her housework, holding the tortoise she wanted to keep up for winter.

GusBus

CO
If you liked that one, here is another pertaining to your situation:
Okay, so I am fine letting him brumate. My issue is now that he is weak, slow and doesn't eat often. He had one marble size poop in the last 2 months but maybe only a bowl dish of food. How do I get him to poop in the next 2 weeks while fasting to prep him to brumate? AND what about the fluid in his abdomen? Do I just ignore that and hope for the best after he (hopefully) comes out of brumation? The buddy has been brumating all his life, I am not surprised he wants to now, it's what he knows. Any ideas or suggestions here are helpful. Thank you!