What tests recommended for vet visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
We adopted a Sulcata 12 y/o and the prior owner had him since he was
2 inch baby, he is not around 20 inches and approx 70 to 80 lbs.
He has not been to a vet in a while and although he looks good I thought
it would be a wise idea to take him to a reptile vet and have him looked over and maybe get some stool checked and maybe blood work.
Can someone tell me what tests you'd suggest?
Just want to make sure all is fine and keep it fine. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Just sharing my opinion: Leave him at home. Unless you have some specific issue, adult sulcatas are a pretty hardy bunch. You'd be better off just posting pics of him and his enclosure here and getting our input. Most of the seasoned members here know more about tortoises than most vets out there. There ARE exceptions. If all is well, and you know your caring for him correctly, then at most, I would just take in a stool sample to check for parasites. In more than 20 years I have never had any need to take a big sulcata to the vet.

On the other hand, it would not be a bad idea to meet the vet if you don't already know him/her and their staff. It does establish a good relationship which could help you, if you ever do need them in the future.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
pics dont work.. link is broken it says..
Id just take a fecal sample to the vet to have tested.. if anything.. unless you think there is a problem..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Since it is an adult,I would go with a fecal parasite test.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tom said:
Just sharing my opinion: Leave him at home. Unless you have some specific issue, adult sulcatas are a pretty hardy bunch. You'd be better off just posting pics of him and his enclosure here and getting our input. Most of the seasoned members here know more about tortoises than most vets out there. There ARE exceptions. If all is well, and you know your caring for him correctly, then at most, I would just take in a stool sample to check for parasites. In more than 20 years I have never had any need to take a big sulcata to the vet.

On the other hand, it would not be a bad idea to meet the vet if you don't already know him/her and their staff. It does establish a good relationship which could help you, if you ever do need them in the future.

I agree whole heartedly with Tom.

Unless there is a problem, leave your tort at home.

It's bad enough when your tort has to have bloods taken because there's a problem (mine's a Greek that got sick) Otherwise get a fresh fecal sample examined for worms, meet the vet and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.