Vet visit questions

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mayo, Ireland
Updating on Ned again!
He is doing so so well. I cant get over it. He is back to his usual self again. Thundering around his enclosure, trying to eat my hands, trying to climb unfavourable things. His eyes just seem so much more alert and alive. Im so glad that he is improving this way. He is full of beans and eating everything that crosses his path. So grateful to everyone here esp. @JoesMum @Rue @martaemha @Yvonne G @Kori5 @Lyn W @Sara G. for all their help, advice and support since i made this thread. Its a terrible feeling to have a pet that is unwell and everyone here has been such a great support. Im so thankful to be in the position to be updating everyone with good news each day as i realise how easily things can go the other way. I am so grateful that he seems to be strong enough to fight back. Go Ned...and thanks again guys!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Im glad hes healthy and back to normal now :)
Thats always AMAZING news
@CathyNed I am delighted to hear that he is recovering so well. Ot really does show what the right treatment from the right vet can do :)

TFO was a godsend for me when Joe was so ill a few years back. I am pleased that I can now be part of the support team for someone else in just as much need. This is an amazing group of people :)

martaemha

5 Year Member
Poland
Cathy I am absolutely thrilled to hear your updates on Ned! It's fantastic to hear that he is doing so well. I am honored that my experience proved in any way helpful for you and your little friend. Like @Pearly said in another thread, caring for a special needs pet is a very spiritual experience. I deeply agree with that. And I believe that seeing such amazing results of your efforts, must be pure magic:)
I too have two rescued Russians. At first caring for them was a struggle and constant fear that they will not make it. Now, after many years, it's incredible to see them well and glowing:)
All the best to both of you!

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Should i be worried that Ned isnt putting on any weight? He is stuck around the 410g spot where he was before his illness. He eats and eats now but he has been more active too. According to McIntyre ratio he is the correct weight bracket for his size but im not sure if that ratio is considered to be accurate or up to date.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Should i be worried that Ned isnt putting on any weight? He is stuck around the 410g spot where he was before his illness. He eats and eats now but he has been more active too. According to McIntyre ratio he is the correct weight bracket for his size but im not sure if that ratio is considered to be accurate or up to date.
I have no idea whether the ratio is accurate.

My suspicion is that increased activity is cancelling out the increased appetite. As long as he isn't losing weight, I really wouldn't worry at this stage.

Kori5

I wouldn't worry too much as long as he is eating and active :).Just keep him well hydrated. Even people come in different sizes and have different metabolism.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
Update on Ned...
He is eating very well and very alert and active...trotting around...moving around much better on his back legs...his beak was overgrown when i took him to the vet but we both agreed he had bigger issues which needed treatment first. His beak has now chipped a bit on one side and looks a little brittle. Im finished work on friday so im thinking i will take him to the vet again next week for a check up on his general condition and ask her to trim his beak. There is no doubt it needs a trim.
I added a new hide to his enclosure. He never used to use the old one. Now when his lights in his enclosure go off the room lights are still on but go off about 15mins later. He seems to know this and trots over to his hide when the lights go off and is safely tucked up every night when i come to turn off the room light. He used to aways just sleep out in the open. Its very cute.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Updating on Ned again!
He is doing so so well. I cant get over it. He is back to his usual self again. Thundering around his enclosure, trying to eat my hands, trying to climb unfavourable things. His eyes just seem so much more alert and alive. Im so glad that he is improving this way. He is full of beans and eating everything that crosses his path. So grateful to everyone here esp. @JoesMum @Rue @martaemha @Yvonne G @Kori5 @Lyn W @Sara G. for all their help, advice and support since i made this thread. Its a terrible feeling to have a pet that is unwell and everyone here has been such a great support. Im so thankful to be in the position to be updating everyone with good news each day as i realise how easily things can go the other way. I am so grateful that he seems to be strong enough to fight back. Go Ned...and thanks again guys!
So happy to hear Ned's doing better!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I'm sorry for just jumping in without knowing all the background into. I'd say if animal is adult steady weight is perfect. I'd just keep and eye on him. Eating/drinking, pee/poo, activity level and sleeping habits, general appearance (skin, scales, shell), eyes, nose, mouth and vent... I always do a quick physical after each bath and watch their behaviors in between. Typically you will know when something is off. We develop connections with our pets and pick up on the signals they send. They "tell" us in their own way when they are not well

Rue

Canada
Think how sharp his smile will be after a visit to the dentist! :)

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
I'm sorry for just jumping in without knowing all the background into. I'd say if animal is adult steady weight is perfect. I'd just keep and eye on him. Eating/drinking, pee/poo, activity level and sleeping habits, general appearance (skin, scales, shell), eyes, nose, mouth and vent... I always do a quick physical after each bath and watch their behaviors in between. Typically you will know when something is off. We develop connections with our pets and pick up on the signals they send. They "tell" us in their own way when they are not well
No problem Pearly. Thanks for the input. Ya he has had a very tough time in the last couple months...it was touch and go there for a while....but he is rallying back. His food intake is great as are poops and pees. Nothing unusual there. His activity level and general alertness are 100% improvement on where he was a month ago when he saw the vet. It is such a huge improvement.
Yes he is an adult....ive been told he was about 20 when i got him from the pet shop but i can hardly believe that that was the case. Anyway ive had him for 8years myself since then. He had never been ill until a month ago. His weight is steady but the first vet i brought him to thought he was underweight. He wasnt a reptile vet and im unsure how much he really knew. The reptile vet i then brought him to after that did lots of tests, xrays and treated him for kidney infection and dehydration. She never mentioned that he was underweight. Im keeping an eye on his weight but i agree with you that while he is eating good food in a decent amount which he definately is and his activity level is good and appearance is good he is doing ok.