Book suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I would like a book on Greek tortoises. Specifically the Middle Eastern Greeks. I have Jordanians and Antakyan. I'd like to learn about other subspecies too. Really, I want to learn what I can.

If there are any publications on the different subspecies of Greeks, I'd like to know what's out there. I can't seem to find anything myself :(

Thanks!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Someone may have some suggestions, but in general, there aren't very many good tortoise books out there. Some gems, but many are outdated and inaccurate. I have had much better luck online, although making sure the websites are reputable.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Search for Russian Tortoises, A Complete guide to Testudo by E.J. Pirog. Published by TFH Publications.

Book covers Russian, Greek, Egyptian, Herman's and Marginated.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Most online information is more current and often addresses specific species better. Some older books have some decent species information but often lack modern, quality care information simply because they were printed prior to the constantly advancing equipment and ideas. I would steer clear of generalized pet shop books, even newer ones. Some seem to want to push products and many don't do a good job addressing specific species. I don't know of a book aimed specifically at Middle Eastern Gracea and I can't imagine why Egyptiandan hasn't written one yet! :D

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Ed Pirog lives in So Cal. He may be listed.

FYI- Aristotle wrote about Testudos (Testuda) in his research and listed them under "Animals with Blood". Graeca and Marginata were specifically mentioned. Not a husbandry guide.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
webskipper said:
Ed Pirog lives in So Cal. He may be listed.

Ed Pirog is our "EJ" here on the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.