Question about subspecies

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I know that several people are good at telling subspecies of a Greek tortoise by looking at them, how? I want to learn the differences between Greek subspecies, I'd like to be able to tell so I can select more to add to my small group.

Is there a book? Collection of books? A good website (or sites) for that with pictures and descriptions? I want to know! :D

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I think I read that the folks at tortoisetrust.org are Testudo experts.

I so hear you about the Greeks. So super confusing. There is nothing Greek about them I think except that they are greek to all of us as far as what they actually are and they are called Greek because their shells look like Greek mosaics. Oh phooey. I think they should just be called Mosaics since they are mosaic'ed from all over in the Middle East. Except for their name and how confusing that is, I love them too. I have 2 from PetSmart and who knows what they really are - someday I will know for sure - but I am very fond of them. I am glad they are here with me now, living the easy life!

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
This is awesome thank you!! I love the easy to understand diagrams! I hope others keep sharing links this is fun :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
I think I read that the folks at tortoisetrust.org are Testudo experts.

I so hear you about the Greeks. So super confusing. There is nothing Greek about them I think except that they are greek to all of us as far as what they actually are and they are called Greek because their shells look like Greek mosaics. Oh phooey. I think they should just be called Mosaics since they are mosaic'ed from all over in the Middle East. Except for their name and how confusing that is, I love them too. I have 2 from PetSmart and who knows what they really are - someday I will know for sure - but I am very fond of them. I am glad they are here with me now, living the easy life!

I love the Greeks too! They are all beautiful and interesting. Maybe some day I will have one of every sub species. Maybe when all the kids are gone and I have an extra room :)

Scoutsboy

5 Year Member
My greek tortoise lives in a glass terrarium and cant live outside is it ok to live in glass?

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Scoutsboy said:
My greek tortoise lives in a glass terrarium and cant live outside is it ok to live in glass?

This would be better addressed by starting a new thread.

Thanks Jaizei and BeeBee.

I'll look into the tortoise trust. I have looked there before and found some good info, but I'm not sure they have what I'm looking for. Maybe I didn't look at everything though.

Any more? If I find anything useful, I'll post it too.

Scoutsboy

5 Year Member
My greek gets a handfull of lettuce in the morning and its gone within minutes. But at night he eats it in an hour...is this healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.