Box Turtle Acquisition

Katrianah

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
So, I'm new to this forum, but last Tuesday I acquired a Box Turtle rather unexpectedly which leads to why I'm now here on this forum. It looks like a good place to share and trade advice, which I'm definitely in the market of at the moment! I'm more versed in keeping rodents than turtles.

The gist of this box turtles history is that it belonged to my mother's ex, who has had a long history of poor care of it. Including not taking it to the vet after ignoring my advice to get its beak trimmed, until it eventually snapped its beak off when it bit something hard. I wound up taking it to the vet myself and taking care of it until it recovered, and he paid me back the vet bills and wanted the turtle back after. I regretfully had to return it.

I left some care information with my mother and she's been taking care of it for the past several years for him. Recently they split, and he didn't want the turtle, so she dropped it off with me knowing that I had a history with it, and fondness for it.

Unfortunately I currently live in an apartment, and box turtles are more suited for outdoors.

Its current state of health is that it has been being kept in a dry aquarium on reptile carpet with little to no moisture outside of a soaking bowl (skin and eyes were both VERY dry and the eyes in particular were very irritated, but I've already remedied that with getting it moved to proper substrate). Its had a relatively accurate diet thanks to my mother, but poor lighting for years. His back nails were horribly overgrown, which I've also already remedied via trimming them down.

I personally know the basics of box turtle care, health, and dietary needs, but trying to keep a large adult box turtle indoors properly is a little more complex. If anyone has any experience with this, and proper lighting techniques (my biggest concern), I'll be glad of any advice. I'm planning to get him moved into a large plastic kiddie pool next month, which I figure will give him a lot more space than the glass aquarium he was dropped off in. I've got him on ecoearth coconut fiber substrate for now.

The scrambled eggs in the first picture was a hold-over until I could get out to get more proper food for him, since I wasn't exactly setup to acquire a turtle. I'm keeping him fed off the salad bar at work for now (perks of working at a gourmet food market), until I can get out for a proper shopping run on Sunday.

P.S. I've named him Jagger.

Jagger.jpg Jagger 2.jpg Jagger 3.jpg Jagger 4.jpg

This last picture isn't mine, I found it on google, but I'm aiming to try and build him a similar enclosure, only with ecoearth coconut rather than the wood chips in this picture. I'm hoping it'll be sufficiently large enough. Living in a small apartment has me strapped on how much space is available.

Example.jpg

Gbear

5 Year Member
If you want to save money on substrate you could get 100% Cyprus mulch ($4), peat moss ($12), and 100% organic top soil ($6 to $8) from home Depot and mix it all together in the pool. That will allow him to burrow and you might be able to grow food for him too.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hello and welcome! Nice looking Eastern Box Turtle! Glad your taking it in! I'd stay away from cypress mulch. Never know if that is what your getting or blended with other toxic mulches. In general not a fan of using mulch in substrate for box turtles.. Good luck!

Katrianah

Ohio
Avoiding mulch for personal reasons also. I'm allergic to a rather large number of molds. Whenever I used to use mulch for my amphibians as a kid, it really aggravated my respiratory problems. Didn't have the same same trouble with coconut. It stays moist, but fluffy, and didn't seem to encourage mold growth like mulch. It's largely why I favored it for this guy. My allergies are why I usually avoid pets that require a lot of humidity. But I'm going to try and find a healthy balance for me and the turtle both.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Hi and Welcome. Actually, scrambled eggs are a decent meal for a box turtle. I would try to mix up the variety, but in a pinch, it's a nice meal. Yellow Veggies, like Butternut squash are good for Boxies, i cut it up and freeze it in chunks, then thaw and chop, with other things. Dandelion greens are great if you can get the turtle to eat them.

this is a good reference-

http://www.boxturtlefacts.org/Feeding_North_American_Box_Turtles.pdf

C.H.D Reptiles

I wouldn't recommend any mulch, but organic topsoil works well, also the coconut works good. I feed mine a huge variety of foods. A good diet is 50% Animal Matter 20% Vegetables 10% Greens 10% Fruits and 10% Fungi. My last feeding was Clover, Strawberry, Snails, Earthworms, Mealworms, Romaine, and Okra. This should help. By the way it is from the book Box Turtles by Tess Cook
DSCN3478.JPG

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Scrambled eggs are just fine for him to eat! I like to use peat moss or coconut coir mixed with long fibred sphagnum as a substrate. Box turtles can be housed indoors successfully and it's not all that difficult. I use stock tanks or dressers turned on their back with shelves removed. Large water pan, low hanging fake plants, damp substrate, uvb, and temps between 70 to upper 80s. I cover their enclosures with heavy clear shower curtains to hold in humidity.

Also, I have used just 100% organic peat moss by itself as substrate and that works fine too. $10 for a 3 square foot bale at lowes or home depot. Just keep it damp.

Katrianah

Ohio
low hanging fake plants

I was planning to try and do safely digestible live plants because I was concerned he might try to eat fake ones and that the plastic wouldn't be able to pass safely through the digestive system. Thinking if I put them in heavy pots, he won't uproot them digging around, but they will be safe if he takes a bite out of any low hanging leaves.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I was planning to try and do safely digestible live plants because I was concerned he might try to eat fake ones and that the plastic wouldn't be able to pass safely through the digestive system. Thinking if I put them in heavy pots, he won't uproot them digging around, but they will be safe if he takes a bite out of any low hanging leaves.
You can do that. Though I've never had a problem since most boxies don't care much for greens.

Katrianah

Ohio
Hm. I might try fake ones then. Heavens know I have too many plants as it is. My bedroom is a jungle. I'll see if any of my current plants are safe to go in with him, and try to flesh out with fake ones if need be :)

IMG_20160610_074731.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I see you're in Ohio. Seems to be several of us here!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I know nothing about turtle care. I have gopherus.
But just wanted you to know it's great you are caring for this little and he is very cool looking. Cute boy Jagger.
:<3::tort::)