Box turtle basics

TXTortOwner

5 Year Member
The education department where I work will be acquiring a Western and an Eastern box turtle next week from a facility that can no longer house them. Since I've started grad classes this week, I don't have the time I'd like to research their basic needs (ideal substrate and habitat needs, diet, anything that should be different b/w the E&W setup). Anyone have a good link to a primer to at least get me started with setting these guys up until I have more time to get into nitty gritty details?

I own a Hermann's tortoise, so I know this will be a bit different.

Many thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I don't mean to be abrupt...but why not set them up as they are now but at your home? I mean if they are healthy? Taking them in without taking time to set up their basics may not be beneficial to them??

TXTortOwner

5 Year Member
They are coming with basic aquariums, but I am unsure what they are like. My boss is the one who agreed to take them in, and will keep them at her house. She has asked me to get them set up correctly (knowing I participate in forums and have reptiles)- though they may already be.

As I have not seen them, I do not know if they are in sufficient conditions or healthy, but they are coming from a science/history museum who has been focusing a lot on history, and I was given the impression that they may not be in ideal conditions and we want to make sure they are once they come to us.

We have the resources to care for them, just wanted to make sure we did it correctly.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
you guys are jumping to conclusions,they are most likly fine,at this time of the year they are wanting to sleep,get them ,then figure it out .she said ..we have the resources to care for them....then we can figure it out , pics ,deep pockets,they will live in paradise.some day the students will grow up and join this tort forum and tell us stories about a young teacher that introduced them to box turtles ,maybe some of us will still be here.....smiling....

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I think we are making a large mistake cause we teach people how to care long term loving pets . We don't teach people how to care for their short term chores ! But basics they need air , water , food and love !

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yvonne sent a good link. What ever enclosure they end up in should be large enough to accommodate adult box turtles (assuming they are adult). So the first step will be to evaluate the aquarium size(s).
If they are house separately, then that might be a good way to continue.

I have Russians and just took in an Ornate (Western) box turtle. They need just as much room, but more diffused lighting (tube light, like a 5.0 Reptisun) and heat (I use brooder fixtures with black bulbs, CHE's also work).
They also need a larger water container, like a cat litter pan, for example.

So: roomy enclosure, diffused lighting, warmth but no baking hot like Med torts and an adequate water dish.

TXTortOwner

5 Year Member
Thanks Yvonne and Lynn. I am going over today to check them out. It seems they were kept on sand and without UV at the museum. Not sure how long they've had them.

They have already been switched to coco coir and are in deep plastic tubs now with heat lamps. Will make sure they have a deep water dish, 5.0 UVB, lots of hiding places, and appropriate heat to start.

They've also only ever been fed cat food. Since coming into my boss's care on Wed. she's offered a variety of greens. We have access to earthworms and dubia roaches. Will also pick up variety of live insects on a regular basis.

Hopefully we can get these guys into good shape.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Are these adults? If so they will need fruit and veggies as adult box turtles will become almost exclusivly herb if allowed to or given the choice. I had adults who still LOVED boiled egg, super worms and red wigglers so I let them have those options along with their herb diet. They will eat whatever they are given if no other choice is available. I had a friend that fed his anything he and his son ate including hot dogs. Their habitat should include a place for them to swim and soak, plenty of hiding places like plants or hollow logs for example. They should also have enough substrate to bury themselves in, about 2 - 3 inches deeper than they are tall. Dirt from the back yard is fine as long as there are no chemicals or fertilizers in it.

TXTortOwner

5 Year Member
They are adults. The vet record they came with said one had been at the museum 10 years and the other 13. Good to know the majority diet as adults is greens/veggies. Though I imagine appropriate live feeders occasionally couldn't be bad. They have not eaten since we got them Wed., though have been offered a mixture of collard, mustard greens and swiss chard. I took over some sweet potato sticks today as well.

One of the two has a healed but cracked lower beak. They were both taken to the vet in September (not sure if this was a regular practice, or just because they recently got a new collections manager). Both records mention some problems with skin and nails, though luckily both seem to be at a healthy weight.

Just hoping they begin to settle in to new enclosures with appropriate foods and access to water. We were able to get large plastic plant saucers for them to soak in.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Just my opinion, but I do not agree that the majority of any boxies diet is veggies. A boxie of any age should have a 50% protein diet. Boxies are much more carnivorous than was always believed. And I do not think it's a good idea to give them a mostly herbivorous diet.

mariellen

5 Year Member
My adult boxies night crawlers, crickets, superworms, mixed frozen veggies, bell peppers, sweet potatoe,strawberries,blackberried,blueberries, occassional hard boiled egg. Variety is the key. Tess has a great book for box turtles and also info on her site. Also check out north american box turtles site. A good box turtle diet from Sandy Barnett is also good. Check out www.boxturtlefacts.org for her suggestions.

northernturtleman

allegan MI
i love box turtles i have had a few over the years. they really love the night crawlers and strawbarries, mixed veggies..... these are very tolerant creatures they can handle all sorts of temps. i live in michagan and they live in the wild here. so get the basics then fine tune your diet as you see fit. Enjoy them they awesome to watch while they eat!

WilliamB

Sv: Box turtle basics

Sounds like the diet is one of the main things to improve but it also sounds like you allready know that. The key to a happy healthy box turtle is a good varied diet with both meaty and green food in it.

TXTortOwner

5 Year Member
I am happy to report that both turtles are settling in, eating a nice varied diet. Also even though one has a cracked beak, my vet happened to help at the facility they came from ~8 years ago, and knew that the injury was long healed and that this particular turtle doesn't seem to have any complications from the crack. They also both love their large new soaking dishes and weekly light toothbrush scrubs to get off skin that is beginning to shed from being kept too dry.