1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Box Turtle Care Sheet

Discussion in 'American box turtles' started by CourtneyG, Jun 4, 2014.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. siberianwolf

siberianwolf New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Mississippi
    Here is what he looks like IMG_0697.jpg IMG_0698.jpg
    Flee and Debra Carson like this.
  2. Debra Carson

Debra Carson New Member

Derby,Kansas
    Does this beauty have red eyes? or yellow eyes? The reason I ask is because all the ornate box turtles, painted box turtles and such that I have re-leased after healing, look like this one, but found out that red eyes tell it is a male.
  3. Debra Carson

Debra Carson New Member

Derby,Kansas
    I have been rescuing turtles and boxies for years and years, I keep Gamera and Lil Bit in the same large kiddie pool in my basement jungle. They eat everything! Both are females Gamera is an Eastern Missouri and she is lucky to be alive, her shell so damaged by the cars, but she is well now, 8 years later. Lil Bit is a mis-placed three toed, dropped in my back yard by a blue Jay. she was the size of a quarter..Lil Bit has grown three times bigger in two years. They both live together, but they are not really "friends". And.. they are both females. Gamera was probably hit before she mated. We have never had males here long enough to breed. June 5th Gamera 2017 009.JPG June 5th Gamera 2017 009.JPG
  4. siberianwolf

siberianwolf New Member

Mississippi
    Red and his plastron has a concave which assists males when the mate. I have found females have flat plastrons
  5. siberianwolf

siberianwolf New Member

Mississippi
    That’s a pretty good idea for the kiddie pool. Are the kiddie pools relatively cheap. By the way those girls are so gorgeous.