Box Turtle- Should I buy "her"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleTurtles

5 Year Member
So this morning I recieved an interesting email. A lady had heard from me from a friend about my love for turtles/tortoises.... last time I was on here I was suppoced to purchase a Russian Tortoise from a lady... well... everything was set up and I was going to pick him up... and I got an email (yup, not a call or even a text) saying that she had just sold him, someone had offered her more so she no longer had him.... well... this time I was contacted, apparently this lady bought this turtle from a guy on Craigslist, he says he purchased her from a petstore in another city... well, this lady has decided she doesn't know enough about turtles to keep this girl and would rather she went to a more knowledgable home... and so she emailed me and we have been emailing abck and forth all day. She has sent me a lot of pictures per request and I was wondering what peoples opinions are of this EBT... I think its a girl but the pictures are kind of fuzzy... the tank she is in in the picuture is what she has been lving in for about 2 years (what the guy gave the lady for the turtle to stay in)

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
OMG he has been living in that tank for two years!!! poor thing! its AMAZING that he looks this good. i think its a he judging from the length of his tail in relation to his clocoa. he looks healthy and has a nice pattern i would definatly adopt him myself even :) i wouldnt wait to get him as the same thing may happen to yuo as with the russian. i will say one thing though box turtles trump russian tortoises! lol boxies are so personable and fun!

one requirement though.... get him out of that tank the minute he is yours....

LittleTurtles

5 Year Member
Thats what I was told, lol, I tild her the same thing, his shell looks amazing IMO.... Im waiting for my boyfriend to get home to sort everything out... right now I live in an apartment but within the next 6 months or so we are hoping to have our own place so I can set up an outside area (I have a EBT now) I would have to move him into a 20 gallon until then... though it is an improvement from what he is in now, its still not ideal (IMO) but he would have room and I take Monty (my EBT) outside at least once a day for 20-30 mins for "sunshine time" lol
Good news is this lady is about 5 minutes from me (the lady with the Russian was about 2 hours) so this should be easier....

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
that's a male...im sorta becoming an expert at it now...hahaha...with constantly looking at diagrams and pictures.....i like him...but understand about the room issue.....i need to get a place too since my collection grew....

LittleTurtles

5 Year Member
Lol, Im still new at it so.... Im trying my best... I have a 50/50 though so I was ALMOST right....

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
lol...tha'ts true!...the best thing about box turtles is ...well...everything!...they are small, but not too small...they can eat just about everything...and they have different personalities..I'm partial to the three toed, but easterns have the best color...it's all about you and what you want....

LittleTurtles

5 Year Member
Lol, I love my EB girl, I admit i didn't really want her at first, I never had any sort of reptile before, but Im glad I rescued her now, she has a lot of personality... and I enjoy feeding her and taking her outside.... lol, the only reason I took her in originially is because I felt bad about how she was being cared about (5 gallon tank on newspaper sitting on the back of a bookshelf... had literaly been forgotten about... as the owners told me).... I don't regret it, shes fascinating to watch and I can't wait to have an outdoor area set up for her to be in.... I'm guessing I'd need to have a seperate one up for him... but Im still nervous about winter for Monty and for this guy if I can get him.... Monty has never hibernated (from what I know of) and i don't think this guy has either....

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
i have indoor enclosures, and mine never hibernate...they really dont have too.....I dont recommend putting them outside permanently unless you own the house....you can make an outdoor enclosure and then bring them in at night...that is what I will do once i get a house to rent, but if I buy one then I will let them be outside all the time. Also, if this is a male, like i think he is...then you will have to house them separately anyway....you can not have 2 males together, nor should you have 1 female with 1 male......

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
LittleTurtles said:
.... I'm guessing I'd need to have a seperate one up for him... but Im still nervous about winter for Monty and for this guy if I can get him.... Monty has never hibernated (from what I know of) and i don't think this guy has either....

Yes, ideally he should have his own home, atleast until his quarantine period is over. Then it will be more if you have one enclosure large enough for two and/if they get along well. As for hibernation, are you wanting to hibernate or is that even an undecided factor at this point?

Looks like a beautiful animal. :)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
LittleTurtles said:
Lol, Im still new at it so.... Im trying my best... I have a 50/50 though so I was ALMOST right....

:cool:

You sure do post alot of smile faces

LittleTurtles said:
Lol, I love my EB girl, I admit i didn't really want her at first, I never had any sort of reptile before, but Im glad I rescued her now, she has a lot of personality... and I enjoy feeding her and taking her outside.... lol, the only reason I took her in originially is because I felt bad about how she was being cared about (5 gallon tank on newspaper sitting on the back of a bookshelf... had literaly been forgotten about... as the owners told me).... I don't regret it, shes fascinating to watch and I can't wait to have an outdoor area set up for her to be in.... I'm guessing I'd need to have a seperate one up for him... but Im still nervous about winter for Monty and for this guy if I can get him.... Monty has never hibernated (from what I know of) and i don't think this guy has either....

well that was going to be my next question. which was was monty a male or female :p

im excited for you and the turtle the fact that both your turts came from seriosly small tanks is truly sad... im glad monty and possibly this guy will have found a great home with you :)

Have you looked into a turtle table? you could have it split with a divider to keep them seperate IF the male is to aggressive. he really is a nice "typical" male eastern where as the highly colored yellow or oranges are "non typical"

Where are you located? what state i mean :)

LittleTurtles

5 Year Member
jojodesca said:
i have indoor enclosures, and mine never hibernate...they really dont have too.....I dont recommend putting them outside permanently unless you own the house....you can make an outdoor enclosure and then bring them in at night...that is what I will do once i get a house to rent, but if I buy one then I will let them be outside all the time. Also, if this is a male, like i think he is...then you will have to house them separately anyway....you can not have 2 males together, nor should you have 1 female with 1 male......

thats what I figured.... the house we will end up getting will be rented so they will jsut have to come inside at night and during the winter till we are able to buy one....

Jacqui said:
LittleTurtles said:
.... I'm guessing I'd need to have a seperate one up for him... but Im still nervous about winter for Monty and for this guy if I can get him.... Monty has never hibernated (from what I know of) and i don't think this guy has either....

Yes, ideally he should have his own home, atleast until his quarantine period is over. Then it will be more if you have one enclosure large enough for two and/if they get along well. As for hibernation, are you wanting to hibernate or is that even an undecided factor at this point?

Looks like a beautiful animal. :)

He will stay in his own 20 gallon till QT is over and I can upgrade him.... then I can set up his won outdoor enclosure at the new place.... I would love to hibernate them, I live in an area where they are native and I would love fo rthem to be able to live outside and do things as naturally as possible

well that was going to be my next question. which was was monty a male or female :p

im excited for you and the turtle the fact that both your turts came from seriosly small tanks is truly sad... im glad monty and possibly this guy will have found a great home with you :)

Have you looked into a turtle table? you could have it split with a divider to keep them seperate IF the male is to aggressive. he really is a nice "typical" male eastern where as the highly colored yellow or oranges are "non typical"

Where are you located? what state i mean :)

Lol, yeah, Monty is a girl, she just has a guyish name.... I have the start of a tort table, but now that Im getting ready to leave my apartment I have postponed it since we are having to start clear out... Im in North Carolina, lol

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
just an FYI hibernation isnt at all a requirment, often times they wake in the spring with ailments such as conjuctivitus and an RI so it might be easier and more fun just to keep them up in the winter for your viewing pleasure inside :)

LittleTurtles

5 Year Member
turtlemann2 said:
just an FYI hibernation isnt at all a requirment, often times they wake in the spring with ailments such as conjuctivitus and an RI so it might be easier and more fun just to keep them up in the winter for your viewing pleasure inside :)

Lol, I know its not a requrment.... but I like the idea of one day having everything as natural as possible for them, Im pretty sure both were once wild caught, I can't give them the wild back but I'd like to do it as much as possible

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Seeing him in that little tank breaks my heart.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
RE: Box Turtle- Should I buy "her"?

If you have the money to help the turtle , I would ! It is very sad to see what people think that box turtles can live in...

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river

What state are you located in? If you are in Maryland you can't buy or sell box turtles unless they are of captive origin (also applies to long term captives).

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL

Saloli said:
What state are you located in? If you are in Maryland you can't buy or sell box turtles unless they are of captive origin (also applies to long term captives).

I think she said she is in north Carolina .. but I'm not 100% sure

Status
Not open for further replies.