Box turtle with bump on top of neck

johnbell670

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
Hi tortoise forum! My 1 year old box turtle just developed a bump on the top of his head in the last day. I looked around and couldn't find any advice, does anyone know whats going on or how to treat it?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Yvonne G hopefully she can help can you attach better pics.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't see it very well but it's in the spot where injury occurs from the shell. Wash it off and see if you can pick off the scab, then give it a gentle squeeze. Afterwards dab on a bit of Neosporin.

Last edited:

johnbell670

Seattle
@Yvonne G Thanks for the advice and here's a better picture. This morning it basically hardened and is less pimply looking, so appears to have gotten worse. I just tried an api turtle fix bath, tried seeing if I could scratch it off, applird a bit of neosporin but too early to see if that paid off. Is this something which would be safe to clip off, or am I at the point of needing to take him to the vet?

IMG_7128.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is the top of his she'll slightly split, sharply?

johnbell670

Seattle
Thanks @lnk and @Yvonne G , his shell doesn't appear very sharp, but ill file it down some. Is it ok to clip the skin with nail clippers, or should I just wait for it to fall off?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just wait. It's still viable where it's attached and it would be painful to clip plus it would bleed.