Brand new, torty owner help

sandytini

5 Year Member
I volunteer with a small animal rescue and two sulcata tortoises were surrendered a few days ago. I have agreed to foster as none of us are familiar with them. I live in southern arizona and tonight it is down to 45. I brought them both in to my bath tub but clearly need to get a better plan. I. Know. Nothing. I will do some reading on this forum on basic care but right now I am curious about aging them and much more importantly what I need to do for them over the winter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    725 KB · Views: 98

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! That little one looks kinda neat, can I see more pictures of him?

sandytini

5 Year Member
Her shell has punctures :-/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    922.9 KB · Views: 96

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are his scutes down further in the centers then the outside? Can I see a side view of him. I keep liking this guy more and more.

Are his bite marks only on the top shell (carapace) or also the bottom shell (plastron)?

I might as well ask this and get it over with.... if somebody (say me) would be interested in adopting one. What sort of process does your rescue operate under?

sandytini

5 Year Member
These guys won't be up for adoption until we are sure they are in great health and because they are so quiet right now with this weather they will not be available for adoption until the warmer months:) the punctures are only on her top. The smaller of the two I believe is a female and the larger a male by the bottom of their shells

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 70

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay as to the age question... that can be hard to even guess because how they have been cared for will make a huge difference in how well and fast they grow, What is their straightline length? That's basically how long are they on their plastron.

How warm are you keeping them?

If I were you, I would go down to the chat thread the AZ folks have going on. They live in AZ (and some in your area because I know not all AZ is the same weather patterns). Those folks can give you the best ideas on how to set your two up.

This is the thread I was thinking might be helpful for you to chat in...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/post-775915.html#pid775915

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The first thing to do is to keep these guys warm. The body temps are so cold that the can only absorb the heat from the sun or what we give them. They thrive best if temps are above 80 degrees, but not over 105 degrees. In AZ, where the climate is dry, I would soak these guys in warm water for about 15-20 minutes daily. Also, provide some hide for them since they are extremely stressed right now. A box large enough for one to go through is generally what I would use to give them a place to hide. Also, be careful with these two. If one is a male and the other a female, they could mate and create babies that may not be healthy for the mom since she has some real issues right now. I would separate them as soon as possible.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sibi said:
The first thing to do is to keep these guys warm. The body temps are so cold that the can only absorb the heat from the sun or what we give them. They thrive best if temps are above 80 degrees, but not over 105 degrees. In AZ, where the climate is dry, I would soak these guys in warm water for about 15-20 minutes daily. Also, provide some hide for them since they are extremely stressed right now. A box large enough for one to go through is generally what I would use to give them a place to hide. Also, be careful with these two. If one is a male and the other a female, they could mate and create babies that may not be healthy for the mom since she has some real issues right now. I would separate them as soon as possible.

Some great points Sibi!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In your climate here is all you need: Put one of these into a large outdoor enclosure. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

In the summer, you can start a burrow for them in an advantageous spot and let them go to work. Underground is the only way to go when temps start climbing to 100+ every day. Your summers simulate their natural wild environment very closely with the monsoons and hot temps. In the wild, they spend 95-98% of their life underground.

So the warm night box for our North American winters, and a burrow for your AZ summers.

Here is a diet sheet for you: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

Find a source for grass hay, your new best friend...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sandy:

Welcome to the Forum!

The bath tub really isn't a good idea. Even with the towel, it's pretty cold in there. Get a reflector light fixture from the hardware store with a ceramic base and a brooder light to put in it and set them up in some sort of box big enough for them to walk around some. They can be outside most of the time and brought in under the light when it gets too cold outside.

It looks like someone intentionally stabbed that poor tortoise. Do you know the story behind them being turned in to the Rescue?

sandytini

5 Year Member
You all are wonderful. I contacted a man who has built for the rescue in the past and forwarded Toms night box. I'm a zookeeper and that is similar to what the aldabras have. They have a tub full of bermuda( I have horses so it's always here) right now until the box is complete. I put a space heater in the bathroom for them and filled the sink with water. I have a thermometer in there and am striving for 80. Once this cold front is gone I will move them back outside to a separate part off my yard(with grass) the smaller girl was said to have been grabbed by a dog. Thank you for being so willing to help. The female is 12 inches and the male is 22inches. Is there anyway to get an approximate age without knowing history? One last question. Mazuri tortoise feed...yay or nay?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
sandytini said:
One last question. Mazuri tortoise feed...yay or nay?

Mazuri feed as part of the diet is perfectly fine in my opinion. I feed it every so often around here... :D actually I just had to clean it off my fingers from feeding some of my guys, before I came in here to type this. :D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How are they doing after a couple of days? Settled in, being more active and eating?