ccindrella

Location (City and/or State)
Nampa, ID
Hello! My husband and I are looking for a smallish tortoise that we can keep in our home. Yes, we have the space (we have a reptile room for our 4 lizards with plenty of space for a big turtle area). We have looked at Greek, Hermann, Marginated, and Radiated tortoises and their care requirements and size is what we have in mind (preferably no Russian). We live in the Boise, ID area. Does anyone know reputable breeders that are in this area or that would be able to help us add a new member to our family?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just so you know, the Greeks and Hermann's will need at a very minimum, a 4x8 foot enclosure as adults. The Marginated and Radiated would need much bigger. They all would need an outdoor enclosure as well.
I don't know of any breeders in your area, but shipping is not a bad way to go. With the weather getting colder, there is a small window left for shipping. Once it gets too cold and iffy weather, a good breeder would wait for shipping.

ccindrella

Nampa, ID
Just so you know, the Greeks and Hermann's will need at a very minimum, a 4x8 foot enclosure as adults. The Marginated and Radiated would need much bigger. They all would need an outdoor enclosure as well.
I don't know of any breeders in your area, but shipping is not a bad way to go. With the weather getting colder, there is a small window left for shipping. Once it gets too cold and iffy weather, a good breeder would wait for shipping.
Thank you! We have about a 12x12 area in the house and plan to build one outside when the weather warms as well.

Do you know of anyone that would ship? I have looked at Tortoise Town but the reviews are very mixed and it makes me leary shipping from the east coast, I'd rather get something directly from a breeder I can talk to.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check in our vendor review section.
The Radiated can't be shipped cross state lines and you need a cities? to have one and I don't think they are giving them out at this time.
So your choices are Hermann's, Greek, Marginated. The Hermann's is the easiest to find of the three.