Bright enough?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Sorry, you quoted before I had edited post. Typing on an iPhone is bad :(

I've looked for a conversion, and have asked Tom. But apparently there is no such thing that I/we have found.

I bought a 6.2 because it's easier to track uvb decay. But it isn't used often for determining if the bulbs are giving the correct levels. I guess that's how they get you to buy both.
It seems like until recently everybody used to the 6.2. I could be wrong on that though. I'm relatively new at all this. I don't think you necessarily need to buy both. I think people have done just fine with the 6.2. I sure as heck can't buy both, Hill I'm still paying off the first one. if they come out with a third version that everybody says is wonderful I will just scream :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The 6.2 model measures UVB in microwatts per cm squared.

The 6.5 model measures the specific UVB rays that our tortoises use to generate D3 in their skin and gives its measurements as a "UV Index" number.

Either meter is fine for our purposes. When the sun comes back out I can use my both my meters and give some numbers side by side. Right now all my UV bulbs are off for the night. Someone remind me mid day tomorrow.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I see this has been going on for a bit, but I have to say, leigti! Your enclosure is soooooo nice! Can my russian move in? ;) I think it looks nice and bright... how's he doing?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
How big of a tub is it? Is this for a young Russian? I LOVE this.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington

The 6.5 model measures the specific UVB rays that our tortoises use to generate D3 in their skin and gives its measurements as a "UV Index" number.

Either meter is fine for our purposes. When the sun comes back out I can use my both my meters and give some numbers side by side. Right now all my UV bulbs are off for the night. Someone remind me mid day tomorrow.
@Tom reminder

Zeko

5 Year Member

@Tom Can you also give what measurement you feel would be fine inside the habitat on the 6.2.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@leigti @Zeko

Okay so my under my 10.0 bulbs at about 11", I get:
6.2 meter = 40
6.5 meter = 1.3
This is pretty low.

Under my 12% Arcadia bulbs with reflector hoods at about 18", I get:
6.2 meter = 137
6.5 meter = 4.9
This is pretty high. This simulates mid day sun when UV levels are at their highest. I only run these for 3-4 hours a day, while I run the above 10.0 bulbs all day.

Zeko

5 Year Member
@leigti @Zeko

6.2 meter = 40
6.5 meter = 1.3
This is pretty low.

6.2 meter = 137
6.5 meter = 4.9
This is pretty high. This simulates mid day sun when UV levels are at their highest. I only run these for 3-4 hours a day, while I run the above 10.0 bulbs all day.

Awesome! And in sunlight? Do you happen to have that reading too?

What do you think would be the ideal 6.2/6.5 reading to keep a Sulcata in?

Thanks again Tom!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I see this has been going on for a bit, but I have to say, leigti! Your enclosure is soooooo nice! Can my russian move in? ;) I think it looks nice and bright... how's he doing?
Thanks, I am not sure to Russians would get along :) I have a female so if you have a female there might be a tiny chance. I think they would do better in my outdoor pen.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Oh, she is doing good. Seems to like it just fine. Doesn't like the log though so I just leave it in there as a climbing obstacle. When I give her cactus I usually put it on top of the log, make her work for the good stuff :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
How big of a tub is it? Is this for a young Russian? I LOVE this.
It is 140 gallon tuff stuff I got it from Amazon. I was hoping for something with more floor space but since I needed to enclosures and I have a very small room :) this had to do. It at least had more vertical space than my last enclosure. brand stock tank The measurements are listed as 56 inches long 40 wide and 20 tall. The inside dimensions are about 4 inches less on the width and length. I am not home right now to give exact measurements, I think I did post it in my box turtle enclosure thread. I used the same tub for my tortoise and my box turtle, separate enclosures everybody please don't start throwing things :) It also weighs 45 pounds, which I can definitely attest to as I was dragging it through the house after hosing it down outside.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
@leigti @Zeko

6.2 meter = 40
6.5 meter = 1.3
This is pretty low.

6.2 meter = 137
6.5 meter = 4.9
Thanks Tom. I am thinking that at 15+ or minus inches the Arcadia bulbs might be a little too much for my enclosure. At least I would have to only have the mom part of the day, all day would be too much don't you think? I won't get new bulbs until next winter anyway and I will probably end up asking this question again because I'm an idiot and I will forget I will try to take notes so are you again. Thanks.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Thanks, I am not sure to Russians would get along :) I have a female so if you have a female there might be a tiny chance. I think they would do better in my outdoor pen.
:p
Don't worry, I was joking... ;) Nope! Mr russian will be remaining a loner for a while :p!