Bringing leopard tortoises out

AztecPurse101

Location (City and/or State)
Kuala Lumpur
Can i bring my baby leopard tortoises out for a walk in the garden? If so, how many hours is ideal? After the walk, when i leave them in their tables, should i switch the basking lamp on?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can i bring my baby leopard tortoises out for a walk in the garden? If so, how many hours is ideal? After the walk, when i leave them in their tables, should i switch the basking lamp on?
The tortoise should never be loose in the garden. You need to build a safe outdoor enclosure that includes lots of shade, as well as sunny patches. I like to give the tortoise an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise. Watch the temperatures outside very carefully, as they can over heat and die very quickly.

Indoors the tortoise always needs to have its "sun" to warm up under during the day.

Wdt77

5 Year Member
West Michigan
The tortoise should never be loose in the garden. You need to build a safe outdoor enclosure that includes lots of shade, as well as sunny patches. I like to give the tortoise an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise. Watch the temperatures outside very carefully, as they can over heat and die very quickly.

Indoors the tortoise always needs to have its "sun" to warm up under during the day.
How closely should you watch the leos when they first go into their outdoor enclosures? Do they need to be shown where the sunny and shade spots are?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How closely should you watch the leos when they first go into their outdoor enclosures? Do they need to be shown where the sunny and shade spots are?
I don't know how to answer that. I just put them in their enclosure and leave them to it. I periodically check on them or stop and observe them, but they should be fine on their own.

Wdt77

5 Year Member
West Michigan
ok my leo will be 2 years old next year, so will be going out for the first time. I am planning on bringing it in at night. What size/age are they able to overnight outdoors and do they need to be put into their heated nightbox each night or will it figure that out too?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I usually put them in the shady area but close to the sun spot. I notice most hatchlings will lay where you put them for some time before being brave enough to move around.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ok my leo will be 2 years old next year, so will be going out for the first time. I am planning on bringing it in at night. What size/age are they able to overnight outdoors and do they need to be put into their heated nightbox each night or will it figure that out too?
I have put mine out around 3 years at least 7-10 inches long.
You usually have to show them the night box by putting them into it for the first few nights or so. Thrn they usually get it and will put themselves in. You should still check every night that they are locked up safe in the night box.