Bringing Rex in for the hurricane?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
1F472D42-E6DE-4DDE-91B7-6440FE82BE2E.jpeg i plan on bringing Rex inside this afternoon. It’s not supposed to hit too terribly bad, but my property is subject to flooding. Rex is a full time outside tortoise, so I’m making do with an old rabbit cage.
My question is, should I try to hook up a heat source? I heat his night box with a radiator heater. But I’m pretty will will lose power. I don’t what to hook up a heat lamp and risk burning him.
Would he be ok a day or two with temps in the high 70’s?
I have a generator, but usually just run the freezers and such a few hrs a day.
Sorry if I sound scatter brained, it’s been a crazy morning so far

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, stay safe!

What kind of tortoise. Personally, i don’t think a few days w/o any heater will cause issues. It’s pretty warm out, here in MD it’s in the 90’s, so you have to be about the same.

Id just keep tort out of flooding, and secure.

Best of luck.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Can you remind us what species Rex is, and how large he is?

I hope the storm isn't too bad for you!

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Greetings, stay safe!

What kind of tortoise. Personally, i don’t think a few days w/o any heater will cause issues. It’s pretty warm out, here in MD it’s in the 90’s, so you have to be about the same.

Id just keep tort out of flooding, and secure.

Best of luck.
Thanks, Rex is a sulcata

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yeah, I don’t like it much either. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon everyone will be back in their enclosure’s
A closed cardboard box would be better than that exposed cage, for sure, if it can be kept warm and dry for the duration.
Good luck! Keep in touch and let us know how you fare in Dorian. You on the coast?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
A closed cardboard box would be better than that exposed cage, for sure, if it can be kept warm and dry for the duration.
Good luck! Keep in touch and let us know how you fare in Dorian. You on the coast?
Yeah, not far from the coast