Rextheturtle

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I have a eastern box turtle and it wouldn't eat, he started rubbing his eye so I have been giving him eyedrops. About a month ago he got stuck on his side in his log, he was white and not looking good. He got better but about a week ago his beak was bleeding and then 2 days after his eyes wouldn't open. Now he isn't bleeding anymore and his eyes are open but he is making this whistling sound, blowing bubbles, and still won't eat. This is why I think his beak is broken. How do I get him to eat if his beak is broken? He hasn't ate in about 2 weeks.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I have a eastern box turtle and it wouldn't eat, he started rubbing his eye so I have been giving him eyedrops. About a month ago he got stuck on his side in his log, he was white and not looking good. He got better but about a week ago his beak was bleeding and then 2 days after his eyes wouldn't open. Now he isn't bleeding anymore and his eyes are open but he is making this whistling sound, blowing bubbles, and still won't eat. This is why I think his beak is broken. How do I get him to eat if his beak is broken? He hasn't ate in about 2 weeks.
Please include pictures of your turtle and enclosure so we may better advise.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
seems like he might have a respiratory infection. the beak could also be breaking off which might have caused the initial bleeding...please show pictures of enclosure with heating and lighting details.

was this a wild caught turtle by any chance?

Rextheturtle

Maryland
He shares a heat light with my snake and hermit crabs plus the other heater that you can see in the pic just broke today so his tank is a little cold. I took the log out so he doesn't get stuck again. In the tank I put a banana to try to get him to eat again and he didn't eat it. In his water I out protein/vitamin gel that goes on his food hoping he would drink it. I've had him for 8 years or so he was at a school they were going to let him go so I took him in. The room he is in doesn't have a light bulb and I dont have anymore outlets for lights, but the window above him gives him good light.

20201118_200920.jpg20201118_200939.jpg20201118_200944.jpg20201118_201015.jpg20201118_201234.jpg20201118_201244.jpg20201118_201257.jpg20201118_201638.jpg

Rextheturtle

Maryland
Please include pictures of your turtle and enclosure so we may better advise.
I attempted again to feed him so that is a banana with green protein or vitamin gel and that is also in his water because I thought maybe he would drink it. He didn't eat the banana, sadly. I took his log out so he wouldn't get stuck again.

20201118_201015.jpg20201118_200944.jpg20201118_200939.jpg20201118_200920.jpg

Rextheturtle

Maryland
seems like he might have a respiratory infection. the beak could also be breaking off which might have caused the initial bleeding...please show pictures of enclosure with heating and lighting details.

was this a wild caught turtle by any chance?
I dont think I sent it as a reply but I posted my reply it is #4

Guts

Tennessee
Haven’t kept box turtles in years but your enclosure and diet don’t seem entirely appropriate for them. id definitely look into a good herp vet because that sounds like a nasty RI

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The temp is way to low and the enclosure is way to small. Boxies also need some water feature to get into. Get her warmer and it should help if not it make require a vet

Rextheturtle

Maryland
Haven’t kept box turtles in years but your enclosure and diet don’t seem entirely appropriate for them. id definitely look into a good herp vet because that sounds like a nasty RI
Ok thank you, how could I make his enclosure better and diet if he starts eating again. I normally feed him worms, slugs, meal worms, bananas, and rarely but sometimes watermelon. I've tried feeding him flower tops, lettuce, and other vegetables but he won't eat them. Im going to buy him a heating pad that goes under his cage as well. Thanks for the help!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA

Rextheturtle

Maryland
The temp is way to low and the enclosure is way to small. Boxies also need some water feature to get into. Get her warmer and it should help if not it make require a vet
I just put a blanket on the cage and moved it closer to the heat lamps. Im going to buy him a heating pad for under his cage. He has a dog bowl in his cage with water in it, it was the biggest thing I could find at stores.

Rextheturtle

Maryland
I just put a blanket on the cage and moved it closer to the heat lamps. Im going to buy him a heating pad for under his cage. He has a dog bowl in his cage with water in it, it was the biggest thing I could find at stores.

Attachments

• 20201118_205716.jpg
    20201118_205716.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

nicoleann2214

NY
He doesnt need a heating pad or a blanket. You need a heat bulb going directly over the tank, providing him heat to keep the enclosure warm. Look for a terra cotta saucer for a water bowl, dog bowl sounds much complicated for him to drink out of with tall sides. Sounds like a respiratory infection. @Tom @Yvonne G

Rextheturtle

Maryland
He doesnt need a heating pad or a blanket. You need a heat bulb going directly over the tank, providing him heat to keep the enclosure warm. Look for a terra cotta saucer for a water bowl, dog bowl sounds much complicated for him to drink out of with tall sides. Sounds like a respiratory infection. @Tom @Yvonne G
Ok thanks, just using blanket until I get money for a light and thought a heating pad would be good to put under his water for a warmer basking area. He gets completely in the bowl and sits and drinks. I needed something higher so that he had enough water to sit in and so his dirt doesn't get in it because he pushes his dirt around all the time. Thank you for the help!

nicoleann2214

NY
Ok thanks, just using blanket until I get money for a light and thought a heating pad would be good to put under his water for a warmer basking area. He gets completely in the bowl and sits and drinks. I needed something higher so that he had enough water to sit in and so his dirt doesn't get in it because he pushes his dirt around all the time. Thank you for the help!
You’re welcome, good luck :)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
thanks for sharing the pictures! I have a few suggestions:

heating pads arent really for tortoises. you are better off with a CHE and a UV strip light to get him warmer so he can actually digest his food if he chooses to eat. blankets wont help retain any warmth in there. I can see you have light fixtures but I see some unused on the floor and others that are plugged in that don't seem to be for the turtle's benefit.

with no UV lights and no heat he probably has a serious respiratory infection as well as possible metabolic bone disease.

water dish might be too high and difficult for him to get in and out of the water, you generally want something level so he can easily drink if he needs to. dirt will get in there and its inevitable, really. you should be cleaning the water daily anyway.

It is too dry in there and there is not enough substrate. He needs a hide so you might want to put it back in there for him.

beak will probably need a trim too so if you go to the vet you should request that.

if you are feeding wild snails and slugs you might want to check for parasites. those bugs are LOADED with them when caught in the wild, which is why you should only feed ones domestically raised for food. When I first brought my water turtle home he was filled with parasites and he was vomiting/pooping blood and would not eat anything so parasites as well as lack of warmth could be an issue.

hope this helps. I can see you received a lot of good advice already, as well as a great reference here that blackdog already shared: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex