Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmt123

5 Year Member
So when sandy hit it became really cold so I brought my two eastern females. I had all of the lights and stuff working and ready I put them in and they walked around for about a week then hunkered down and haven't moved since. Should I just let them hibernate or what?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Just because they're sleeping a lot doesn't mean that they're hibernating. If they're being kept warm, then they need water and some food, and I would get them up at least every couple of days, to feed and water. Mine need to be kept at around 40 degrees to properly hibernate. If they are warm, and not eating or drinking anything, sooner or later that could be a problem. Make sure you keep your lights on at least 13 hours a day. My yearlings are keeping buried, and I soak them about every three days, and make sure they all eat.

bmt123

5 Year Member
There eyes are also swollen closed is that just due to sleeping

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Not due to sleeping. Illness. You should soak them on warm water as soon as possible, and do not hibernate them keep them warm and feed them. If they bury down and don't move again you will have to dig them out make sure they eat and drink. Your going to have to nurse them a little.

bmt123

5 Year Member
I soaked them in warm water and white goop came out then they opened there eyes.

bmt123

5 Year Member
It went away but I am afraid it will come back. How do I prevent it

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
keep your temperature up and the water clean I also suggest buying terrimycin ophthalmic ointment online it is an antibiotic ointment you can buy online for like six dollars it will come in a really small tube and can be applied via a q tip I always keep some handy

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I would also weigh the turtles and make sure they do not loose a lot of weight , that would be a sign they need to go to the vet as well.

bmt123

5 Year Member
Yes they will be going to vet in the near future do to an abses so I will get this checked out as well

Status
Not open for further replies.