Bubbles Galore

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Adopted a little 259 gram - 4 yo Redfoot. Craig's list rescue. I know, I know, I've gotta stop looking at Craig's list. But this poor baby was close to death.
Problems
- never been out of her 10 gallon tank
- lower beak overgrown , has a hard time biting off anything
- fed nothing but kale and a little fruit occasionally.
- desiccating heat lamp without water
- no sun - or even a sun substitute lamp
- can't stand. Scoots on back feet " elbows"
- nails were ridiculous. I trimmed them
- too soft plastron
- some eye swelling
- extreme pyramiding , including a concave caprice
- very small for age.
- can't retract head very far seems shell is too small.

On the plus side
- started eating immediately
- chopped up a salad of hybiscus, rasberry leaves, mulberry leaves, watermelon , mazuri. Dusted calcium, Chopped it all up into almost mush and she ate well.
- feeding her on paving tiles to start wear on beak , but I'll have to trim it also.
- soaked her , her shell was so dry , but didn't see her drink yet.
- not shy of me at all. I put eye ointment on her easily.
- getting fishing worms today to feed.

I really had no intention to become a tortoise hospital. But I couldn't just leave it to die without a chance.

If she gets enough nutrient, some sunlight , hydration & some babying maybe ... Just maybe she can walk again. But even if she survives and starts growing , it is most likely this will greatly shorten her life span.

I hope she can poop. This is as severe case of MBD from improper care in every aspect, as I've seen.

Named her Bubbles Galore.

Good luck little one
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438442257.038076.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438442275.836806.jpg

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Oh. My. God. That has to be the worst pyramiding I've seen on a red foot. Glad she's with you now and will get the proper care and medical attention needed.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Oh my....thank god for you!! She will be well taken care of now. So sad :( but she is going to be in good hands now.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Well. Honestly I'll try.
But I have to accept that they didn't get rid of her till she was almost gone.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438449757.976219.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well. Honestly I'll try.
But I have to accept that they didn't get rid of her till she was almost gone.
View attachment 141535
Poor thing. She's a challenge for you Mike. I wish you luck. I would have had to give her a chance too. She's never had protein by the sounds of it. Keep us posted on her progress. I just don't get some people. How can anyone let it go that far without seeking help.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I know. I drove to pick her up and when I looked her over wanted To scold the gal ... But what's the use. Wouldn't change anything. People don't realize this kind of treatment is tourture. It's long term suffering for the animal who has no defense. I could have reported them to animal control.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Poor ugly little thing. I wish you the best of luck. Did you have a word with the prior owners about how they probably shouldn't own any other pets?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I bet a lot of soaks will do wonders. It's so sad people have animals and don't do research, it sickens me. I rescued a tortoise in April who has pyramiding and he stunk!! I am doing the best I can to get him healthy. All you can do is your best. I can't even look on Craigslist I'd be in trouble is have so many tortoises.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I know. I drove to pick her up and when I looked her over wanted To scold the gal ... But what's the use. Wouldn't change anything. People don't realize this kind of treatment is tourture. It's long term suffering for the animal who has no defense. I could have reported them to animal control.
Made me laugh. Scold the gal. How big is s/he. Is male or female.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Honestly I would have chewed her out and pointed out every single issue with the tort and explain to her what she did wrong to cause that issue. If she brushed me off or started yelling and being mad, I would have reported them for animal cruelty and neglect.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I hope she starts improving soon. Poor tort. With all the Internet information there is no excuse for not knowing how to take care of a tortoise properly.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Good luck with the poor little gal! I hope you're able to get her well enough to enjoy some good quality of life.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Bubbles is still alive, and still eating some. Although it is clear she has a very hard time breathing. Probably a combination of the MBD and a URI. Since she doesn't walk (her back legs are not working anymore) , but just scoots herself she doesn't get the exercise she needs. If she recovers to walk again, and gets over the URI I will be amazed. My GF can hardly look at her it makes her so mad that anyone would allow an animal to get so bad when good care is easy to discover and do. Maybe I'm just a crazy optimist, but as long as she's alive I can at least give her good food, hydration, and a little daily sun. She lives such a small life in her hospital tank...
If she doesn't show improvement, yet continues to live, It crosses my mind if even keeping her alive is cruel. How long can I keep her like this?
This is a hard one. I've rescued torts before, but never one in this bad of shape.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Bubbles is still alive, and still eating some. Although it is clear she has a very hard time breathing. Probably a combination of the MBD and a URI. Since she doesn't walk (her back legs are not working anymore) , but just scoots herself she doesn't get the exercise she needs. If she recovers to walk again, and gets over the URI I will be amazed. My GF can hardly look at her it makes her so mad that anyone would allow an animal to get so bad when good care is easy to discover and do. Maybe I'm just a crazy optimist, but as long as she's alive I can at least give her good food, hydration, and a little daily sun. She lives such a small life in her hospital tank...
If she doesn't show improvement, yet continues to live, It crosses my mind if even keeping her alive is cruel. How long can I keep her like this?
This is a hard one. I've rescued torts before, but never one in this bad of shape.

Maybe talk to a couple different vets and get some opinions?

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
So sad...I'm wondering from lack of nutrition and growing that caused the legs to be immobile, or completely something else. I read somewhere on the forum that a tortoise scooted and did not use their hind legs and the owner started to do water therapy on their legs and over time the tortoise began walking. Now I don't know the extend of the damage/impairment theirs had compared to your tortoise. Yours sounds pretty bad :( however maybe going to a vet and asking their opinion may be great, as long as you know a good reptile vet with the right knowledge on tortoises. This story really angers me too!!! People truly sicken me!!!