Status
Not open for further replies.

Bow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
British Columbia
Your lucky. I wish there were thousands of toads here :(

image-3413403933.png

This is Prince :) just so you can see the difference.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Very cool eggs! I caught a few Boreal toads (Bufo boreas boreas, I think? Subspecies of Western toad) last summer while living in Utah, just little toadlets, and I'm kind of hoping they're male/female. The size difference seems about right, anyway! They're definitely cool little critters. I like my Westerns a LOT more than my Spadefoots (was given a few great basin spadefoot tadpoles the same summer). Can't wait to see pics when your little ones start morphing into toadlets!!

I'll have to see if I can get a couple pics of my toads... Just realized I only have pictures of the Spadefoots on my computer!

Bow: That's so cool you have a couple Westerns, too! I didn't even realize their range extended that far north. :) I thought it was dangerous to release captive amphibians, though--something to do with chytrid fungus? I'm still really new to amphibs and haven't really read up on the situation, but I've been hearing whispers of how it's extremely taboo to release any amphibians that have been in captivity due to the prevalence of chytrid fungus in the hobby. I could be mistaken, but might be something to look into before you do it... -shrug-

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Floof said:
Very cool eggs! I caught a few Boreal toads (Bufo boreas boreas, I think? Subspecies of Western toad) last summer while living in Utah, just little toadlets, and I'm kind of hoping they're male/female. The size difference seems about right, anyway! They're definitely cool little critters. I like my Westerns a LOT more than my Spadefoots (was given a few great basin spadefoot tadpoles the same summer). Can't wait to see pics when your little ones start morphing into toadlets!!

I'll have to see if I can get a couple pics of my toads... Just realized I only have pictures of the Spadefoots on my computer!

Bow: That's so cool you have a couple Westerns, too! I didn't even realize their range extended that far north. :) I thought it was dangerous to release captive amphibians, though--something to do with chytrid fungus? I'm still really new to amphibs and haven't really read up on the situation, but I've been hearing whispers of how it's extremely taboo to release any amphibians that have been in captivity due to the prevalence of chytrid fungus in the hobby. I could be mistaken, but might be something to look into before you do it... -shrug-

Hmm from what I've read western toads aren't a resistant species so if my two had it they would be dead... I'll read up to make sure any eggs wouldn't carry it if they do somehow have some sort of dormant mutation of it.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Bow said:
Hmm from what I've read western toads aren't a resistant species so if my two had it they would be dead... I'll read up to make sure any eggs wouldn't carry it if they do somehow have some sort of dormant mutation of it.

I'm sure you know a lot more on the subject than I do! :) I didn't even know there were resistant species VS non-resistant species... I just know it exists, and that it's said to pose a serious threat to wild amphibians. I really haven't read up on it beyond that, though I plan to eventually (if/when I ever delve deeper into amphibians).

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Floof said:
I'm sure you know a lot more on the subject than I do! :) I didn't even know there were resistant species VS non-resistant species... I just know it exists, and that it's said to pose a serious threat to wild amphibians. I really haven't read up on it beyond that, though I plan to eventually (if/when I ever delve deeper into amphibians).

Bullfrogs and African clawed frogs are resistant, but they can still carry it. It sounds like most other stuff just dies if it contracts the fungus. I've never really devoutly researched it, I will if my guy actually lay eggs. There's only Bullfrogs left round these parts LOL if it kills them I'd be happy :) sadly they're resistant.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I don't understand, ''Toad talk''

But i fead the tads today, first day they have actually ate ( fish food ) Skimming the water with there little mouths, too cute! :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
tyler0912 said:

But i fead the tads today, first day they have actually ate ( fish food ) Skimming the water with there little mouths, too cute! :D

:cool: I didn't think it would be long :)

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
tyler0912 said:

That's awesome! Not many things beat a school of tadpoles for being adorable.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
HAHA They got a new setup today! :D

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
all Tads have died! :(

Not sure, why but i think it was the gravel?....Get more eggs?...Or...Not?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Yep, get a filter! Like Bow said, ammonia & nitrites are killer. Basically, the ammonia is their waste, so there's no getting away from that unless you have a filter. Sponge filters and the air pumps that power them are usually pretty cheap. Not the most effective filters out there, but better than nothing and won't suck up your tads.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I got the smalled pump i had and it still sucked a tadpole up, and they had only ate once would there poo kill them in 24hrs?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Not to sounds ghoulish but RF's most likely will eat dead tadpoles as protein.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
If the tank is small enough and there's enough tadpoles, yes, ammonia can build to deadly levels very quickly. Did you try a sponge filter? The sponge IS the filter, and it's powered by a small air pump to suck water in through the surface of the sponge. So instead of sucking water in from one localized point, it's diffused over the surface of the sponge and has a much weaker pull. They're a favorite for tiny fish fry and the like since they're less hazardous to the tiny babies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
dmmj said:
Not to sounds ghoulish but RF's most likely will eat dead tadpoles as protein.

I thought off this, but they was way too small, and i dont know how these tads died...

And nope not a sponge filter, i had a newt today....my granma has a CB- Palmate Newt she wants me to have..

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Floof said:
If the tank is small enough and there's enough tadpoles, yes, ammonia can build to deadly levels very quickly. Did you try a sponge filter? The sponge IS the filter, and it's powered by a small air pump to suck water in through the surface of the sponge. So instead of sucking water in from one localized point, it's diffused over the surface of the sponge and has a much weaker pull. They're a favorite for tiny fish fry and the like since they're less hazardous to the tiny babies.

I have to agree with Floof. I vaguely remember you saying there were 45 tadpoles, it would build up very quickly. Especially in a ten gallon tank. I normally do 2 tadpoles for every 5 gallons. Better luck next time :(

Status
Not open for further replies.