Building a Cold Weather Winter House

Rick_in_UT

Location (City and/or State)
SLC, UT
I know this thread already has great content, but I wanted to share my own build in hopes that it might inspire others or in case someone needs a summer project! I'm happy to answer any questions.

I have a ~4 year old sulcata named Jerry and we live in Salt Lake City, UT. For the last few years I kept him inside during the winter, but not only was his enclosure too small... he obviously made my room stink and he was super loud! Also, in the winter his eating would slow down and he would become lethargic, which I attribute to the lack of natural sunlight. I have a vitamin D lamp and place him in a sunny corner of my house but it still wasn't enough. So, I decided to make him a house!

In total I think this project cost me about $1,000. That includes all of the accessories lights, heating pad, thermostat, wheels, etc.

I tried to use 2x3s whenever possible to keep costs and weight down. I started out by building an insulated 4x8 base using 1/2" plywood, 2x3s and some 1.5" foam. the foam is glued in using liquid nails.
Tort1.png
Tort2.png
I used liquid nails or caulk on all of the floor joists and edges to keep the plywood tight and seal any gaps. It's all held together with 2" screws.
Tort3.png
Once the floor was built, I started framing up the walls. I wanted it to be tall enough for me to crawl into to clean (if necessary) or to retrieve Jerry if he was ill or something happened, so it's roughly 2' on the low side and 3' on the high side.
Tort4.png

From here forward I must've been in a hurry as I'm light on photos! Once I got it framed, I put "shred board" style exterior sheathing on the outside. I then started to insulate the inside with R13 attic insulation. Next up was interior walls!
Tort5.png
I used 1/4" underlayment for the interior walls. I also used a sheet of white, plastic, wall covering (like you see in public restrooms) as the floor to keep it waterproof (not pictured). Jerry seemed to like it.
Tort6.png

After that, I built the roof in the exact same fashion as the floor, but I used 2x4s so that I could use the R13 insulation. I attached the roof with hurricane ties and used great-stuff to fill any gaps around the edges..
Tort7.png
It has to be portable as I plan on moving it to storage during the summer months so I added those wheels from Harbor Freight. They're attached with 3" lag bolts that go into the studs.
I made a custom door that is also insulated. I also added a bubble style skylight so he can get more direct sunlight.
Tort8.png
Inside I have 1 heat lamp (vitamin D bulb), 1 ceramic heat bulb, a zoo-med reptile mat and a small space heater. The mat is on all the time, but the light and heaters are on a thermostat timer. I had intended to create a hide within the enclosure but I never got around to it. I will this summer! I also still need to add exterior trim around the door, corners and windows.
Overall, I think Jerry loves it and he doubled in size over the winter so that's a good sign.
Tort9.png

If you have any questions or are considering taking on your own build, let me know how I can help! If you have basic tools (circular saw and drill) you could knock this out in a few weekends!

Attachments

• Tort1.png
    Tort1.png
    872.8 KB · Views: 8

sunny1

California
I know this thread already has great content, but I wanted to share my own build in hopes that it might inspire others or in case someone needs a summer project! I'm happy to answer any questions.

I have a ~4 year old sulcata named Jerry and we live in Salt Lake City, UT. For the last few years I kept him inside during the winter, but not only was his enclosure too small... he obviously made my room stink and he was super loud! Also, in the winter his eating would slow down and he would become lethargic, which I attribute to the lack of natural sunlight. I have a vitamin D lamp and place him in a sunny corner of my house but it still wasn't enough. So, I decided to make him a house!

In total I think this project cost me about $1,000. That includes all of the accessories lights, heating pad, thermostat, wheels, etc.

I tried to use 2x3s whenever possible to keep costs and weight down. I started out by building an insulated 4x8 base using 1/2" plywood, 2x3s and some 1.5" foam. the foam is glued in using liquid nails.
View attachment 344681
View attachment 344680
I used liquid nails or caulk on all of the floor joists and edges to keep the plywood tight and seal any gaps. It's all held together with 2" screws.
View attachment 344682
Once the floor was built, I started framing up the walls. I wanted it to be tall enough for me to crawl into to clean (if necessary) or to retrieve Jerry if he was ill or something happened, so it's roughly 2' on the low side and 3' on the high side.
View attachment 344683

From here forward I must've been in a hurry as I'm light on photos! Once I got it framed, I put "shred board" style exterior sheathing on the outside. I then started to insulate the inside with R13 attic insulation. Next up was interior walls!
View attachment 344684
I used 1/4" underlayment for the interior walls. I also used a sheet of white, plastic, wall covering (like you see in public restrooms) as the floor to keep it waterproof (not pictured). Jerry seemed to like it.
View attachment 344685

After that, I built the roof in the exact same fashion as the floor, but I used 2x4s so that I could use the R13 insulation. I attached the roof with hurricane ties and used great-stuff to fill any gaps around the edges..
View attachment 344688
It has to be portable as I plan on moving it to storage during the summer months so I added those wheels from Harbor Freight. They're attached with 3" lag bolts that go into the studs.
I made a custom door that is also insulated. I also added a bubble style skylight so he can get more direct sunlight.
View attachment 344689
Inside I have 1 heat lamp (vitamin D bulb), 1 ceramic heat bulb, a zoo-med reptile mat and a small space heater. The mat is on all the time, but the light and heaters are on a thermostat timer. I had intended to create a hide within the enclosure but I never got around to it. I will this summer! I also still need to add exterior trim around the door, corners and windows.
Overall, I think Jerry loves it and he doubled in size over the winter so that's a good sign.
View attachment 344690

If you have any questions or are considering taking on your own build, let me know how I can help! If you have basic tools (circular saw and drill) you could knock this out in a few weekends!
This looks awesome. Have you made any adjustments to the house worth noting? I am looking at building something similar, with the ability to get inside from the top (hinged top). How have the wheels held out for the winter (have they sunk into the ground or can you still roll it). Also, what dimensions did you make the house and does it seem big enough for when Jerry cannot go outside?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

View attachment 344681
View attachment 344680
View attachment 344682
View attachment 344683

View attachment 344684
View attachment 344685

View attachment 344688
View attachment 344689
View attachment 344690

I like the windows and skylight for natural light.

I'm itching to rebuild my leopard's heated house. I want a bigger house for him with windows, too!! Great job.