building a hide with Legos?

kdub

Location (City and/or State)
Clearwater, FL
Hello fellow tort lovers!

I'm a newb trying to come up with ideas for a winter enclosure. I plan to get everything in place, test the lights, heat and humidity and get the enclosure stabilized before purchasing my new friend. I also plan to build a "play pen" in a plastic tote for warm afternoons in the Florida sun. For the tote I plan to keep it simple with a small basic hide and a good amount of green stuff (still warm enough to grow plants but too cold for a reptile to be outside 24/7). This will all be temporary until springtime when it gets hot again here. Okay, so my question is: does anyone see any potential problems with building a hide from Legos for my indoor wintertime home? I have a huge box from my childhood doing nothing in storage. I thought it would be neat to construct a custom hide and maybe even a ramp leading up to the top. I would put a piece of slate on top for flatness but I thought the texture of the Lego nubs leading up the ramp would give good footing for climbing. Also, I could create safety edges and rails around the top and on the ramp and make some sweet designs with all the different colors.

Please tell me what you all think! I'm new to all of this and enjoy reading the posts on this forum and only want to do what is safe. I feel like I've learned so much from all of the knowledgeable people on here! I welcome all comments, suggestions and questions.

Thanks!
:<3: Kdub

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I think it would look neat, and can't think of any reason it wouldn't be ok. I think, depending on the tortoise you get, and the rest of the enclosure, you might still need a humid hide in there. The only disadvantages would be the space it would take up, and the fact that it would not hold humidity. Hope you will post pics if you do it.

kdub

Clearwater, FL
I think it would look neat, and can't think of any reason it wouldn't be ok. I think, depending on the tortoise you get, and the rest of the enclosure, you might still need a humid hide in there. The only disadvantages would be the space it would take up, and the fact that it would not hold humidity. Hope you will post pics if you do it.
My plan so far is to have a bottom layer of lava rocks under my substrate and some small pvc tubes in the corners that I can pour water into. The water will trickle through the lava rocks and evaporate upwards into the substrate. Do you think this would help to keep in the humidity? ...And yes there will be pix!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I will definitely take many pictures!!! :)

Good because I definitely want to see lots of pictures. It sounds like a neat and unique project. I hope it works as well as you can see it currently in your mind. :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My plan so far is to have a bottom layer of lava rocks under my substrate and some small pvc tubes in the corners that I can pour water into. The water will trickle through the lava rocks and evaporate upwards into the substrate. Do you think this would help to keep in the humidity? ...And yes there will be pix!!!
Certainly worth a shot. I can't wait for the pics. A Lego land for a tortoise. :) sounds really unique and neat.