Trying out a new humid hide

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I've been off and on with using humid hides. My whole chamber averages in high 80% to high 90% humidity. So, during the times they didn't have the extra hide, I knew they could still burrow under the plants and be in high humidity.

Anyway, I just made a new one. I want to try and stick with it this time. The main reason I would remove them was because my Leopard never used it...hopefully these little guys will.

The humid hide is made from a black dishwashing tub I purchased at the 99cent store. I flipped it upside down and cut a hole for the door. (sound familiar ;)) I took it a step further and built a ramp to utilize the top of the hide as additional floor space. Then I decorated it with my fake plants.

I put the probe for the thermostat inside the hide. Was this a good idea?

1386606680616.jpg
1386606720921.jpg

I used a piece of a roofing single for traction on the ramp. Works great.

1386606748641.jpg

1386606820170.jpg
1386606879704.jpg

By the way...disregard the numbers on my digital thermometer/hydrometer. It was just placed back into the enclosure when I took the pictures and the numbers were still adjusting.

Last edited by a moderator:

kjr153

5 Year Member
I really like your setup. What is the reason for the ramp? To get closer to the basking light or do Tortoises like to climb? I don't have a ramp in my enclosure. Maybe I should add one?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Thanks for the compliment.

The basking spot is on the other side of the enclosure.
The ramp to the top was simply to provide more floor space and something "to do".

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
Love all the live plants in there ! Any chance you can show us more pictures of their enclosure? I would love to see it.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm a "fake plant" user.... Lol

I have pictures of this chamber all over the forum.
In starting a project today (hopefully) that will make a box top/hood for housing the lights. Once that's done I'll make a new thread for the new and improved closed chamber. :)

kjr153

5 Year Member
I'm thinking I'll need to redo mine soon as well. As my thread said, the one side is starting to mold because that side has a different kind of wood. Plus, I'm just bored with it. :) I really like your second level idea too. I can't wait to see your pics.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You are still keeping the whole enclosure high humidity correct? I ask, because some results I have seen of just a humid hide, doesn't seem to work so great. I don't think there is a problem with the probe being in the hide, as long as you know the rest of the enclosure is warm enough too. I like what you did. Looks like they like it too.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Team Gomberg said:
I hope putting the thermostat probe inside the hide was a good idea... Anyone, thoughts on that?

I have a thermometer probe suction cupped to the inside top of my bigger humid hide. I haven't buried the cord but I may after I get some artificial plants. Are your fake plants just hobby lobby types or are they specialty for reptiles?

I used a plastic "to go" box from pei Wei (lol) for the humid hide that they all thee like to snuggle up in together. It has soil and moist sphagnum moss. It's enclosed though and I'm not sure that was the best idea. Maybe just the bowl part, without the lid may have been better. I'm not sure just yet if it holds humidity then I guess I'm golden until they outgrow it.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Yes it's still a closed chamber Barb. In fact, I'm working on a lid to enclosure the lights, too.

Ok, seems like the probe in there is fine. I have 4 digital thermometers in different areas and a lazer gun so I can get pretty accurate temps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Seems like the thermostat probe in the hide would be fine.

Your thermometer probe, when moved around the rest of the enclosure, should answer this question. My only thought would be that the insulation of the probe inside the damp box could make the rest of the enclosure overheat if its cooler in there. I think every enclosure will be different and you will just have to test it out.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Team Gomberg said:
That's what I was afraid of Tom. My CHE is clicking on a lot more right now. Well I'll keep an eye on it...

I misread. I thought you meant a thermometer probe, not a thermostat. Whoops. Mine is just a little digital thermometer in my hide.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I moved the thermostat probe. The CHE was on way too long and often. The basking and ambient temps spiked way above normal. Ah shucks!

I moved the probe back to the corner by the humid hide but not inside of it.
My temps are all back to normal.

I have a digital thermometer probe in there now but it's flickering and giving me trouble. Going to switch it out for another one...

Watch, I'll get all of this tweaking done and stabilized only to have to re tweak once I finish my new top! Oy.... :p

How cute, Elmo went in there all by himself. It's 81.7F and holding.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Some idea that I can learn.............Thanks.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I couldn't keep the temps up in the hide. Even though the daytime temps stayed 81-82F, it dropped down to 76F at night. I had cut the back a bit to sit it flush against the glass. I think that was the problem. Heat went up and out. DUH!

Oh well, but I did revamp the enclosure with some coco coir, live ferns, sphagnum moss and clay pots. They LOVE it!! For the first time in 2 years I have seen a leopard fully bury itself. Little Elmo will completely dig into the moss and cover up out of sight. It's kinda cool. I have to look hard to find them in here sometimes. It's my best set up yet!

My wood frame top idea didn't work. The wood is too heavy. But that's another story....

Attachments

• 474 437.jpg
    474 437.jpg
    767.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 474 423.jpg
    474 423.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 474 427.jpg
    474 427.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37