Built Outdoor Tortoise Box

Tank & Scooter

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Built this so my 2 month old Sulcatas can get sun time. Maybe Half hour couple times a week. I made box theft proof. Box is chained down and lid closes with padlock. I also added shower curtain for shade and helps with humidity. Put green exterior paint, it's mildew and water resistant. I made it with 99 percent recycled material. I only bought shower curtain from 99 cent store.

I only bathe them and give them sun time together. I keep them separate. I also added Plexiglas to their inside enclosure. I was worried about them rubbing on window, but they're funny, they just walk up to window and look out. They always stare at people thru window lol.

I hope nobody says my enclosre too small. I know it is. I will be building them a tortoise table 3x5 feet. It will have large Plexiglas roof so it will also be a closed chamber to hold in that 80 percent humidity. They'll get a Manson soon.20180515_131047.jpg20180515_131028.jpg20180515_122121.jpg20180515_131145.jpg20180515_133627.jpg20180515_133643.jpg20180515_133653.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad you know the inside enclosure is too small. I would take one of the hides out so there is only one hide each and give them more walking room until you get the new enclosure built. Being kept without enough room to roam will affect their muscles. I had to rehab a leopard that was kept in too small an enclosure and he could only drag himself around. Luckily I got him and the rehab worked. Don't wait too long before you get them in a bigger enclosure. Go bigger then 3x5 if you can as they should be in closed halved for approximately 2 years.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Glad you know the inside enclosure is too small. I would take one of the hides out so there is only one hide each and give them more walking room until you get the new enclosure built. Being kept without enough room to roam will affect their muscles. I had to rehab a leopard that was kept in too small an enclosure and he could only drag himself around. Luckily I got him and the rehab worked. Don't wait too long before you get them in a bigger enclosure. Go bigger then 3x5 if you can as they should be in closed halved for approximately 2 years.
Thanks for the heads up. That's scary, I've noticed that in a lot of YouTube videos. We're their rear legs look weak. I should be building table this weekend. Meanwhile I will remove their extra hide and leave only 1 hide each.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Removed all the extra hides.20180515_164453.jpg20180515_165807.jpg20180515_165821.jpgScreenshot_20180503-104648.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Be very careful with the outdoor enclosure. They can cook in something like that in minutes. Its still cool right now, but on a hot summer day, your tortoises could die in there. The shower curtain doesn't help much because it is too close to them. The sun hits the top of the shower curtain and all that heat radiates into the enclosure. I'd have a temp probe in there all the time and watch it closely.

What is the bulb in front? In the smaller silver hood? Is that a cfl? It is really dangerous to their eyes to use it that close to them and also to have it coming from such a side angle. You don't need indoor UV if they are getting real sunshine.

Looks like a CHE in the other lighting hood. If yes, it is much too close to the wood. That is a fire hazard.

Where are their basking bulbs?

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Be very careful with the outdoor enclosure. They can cook in something like that in minutes. Its still cool right now, but on a hot summer day, your tortoises could die in there. The shower curtain doesn't help much because it is too close to them. The sun hits the top of the shower curtain and all that heat radiates into the enclosure. I'd have a temp probe in there all the time and watch it closely.

What is the bulb in front? In the smaller silver hood? Is that a cfl? It is really dangerous to their eyes to use it that close to them and also to have it coming from such a side angle. You don't need indoor UV if they are getting real sunshine.

Looks like a CHE in the other lighting hood. If yes, it is much too close to the wood. That is a fire hazard.

I don't have basking bulbs. I use a 100wat ceramic bulb for heat, and I use that uva uvb light for their day light set on 12 hour timer. Ok I just ripped off uvb light. Should I even put them a light so they know what time it is ? And also what's the temp where they overheat? My enclosure ranges from enclosure temp 80 degrees with ceramic bulb area 95 degrees, when it gets hot in my house enclosure gets 95 degrees and ceramic bulb area gets up to 105. I wanna buy jumpstart to shut off bulb but I don't have money for it now. I wanted one from home depot, it's half the price as the zoomed one, and looks exactly the same. Might be same manufacturer. I always try to read my old threads, but half of them never load. I know you've answered my temp question before. Sorry for asking again. My i can read some threads of mine. Sunlight hits the area around them, they might not need light ?

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles

another question. I didn't bathe them for 4 days because it didn't get above 69 degrees in my house. I did good ? I was worried about them catching cold. I shouldnt bathe if room temp is below 80 degrees right ?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
another question. I didn't bathe them for 4 days because it didn't get above 69 degrees in my house. I did good ? I was worried about them catching cold. I shouldnt bathe if room temp is below 80 degrees right ?
You should soak them every day. You can put their soaking container in their enclosure to keep it warm.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
You should soak them every day. You can put their soaking container in their enclosure to keep it warm.
I was doing that but I didn't feel safe working under lights. Shock hazard. And I like sink becuase I can quickly refill with warm water when it cools. But I'll bathe them in there enclosre if it's to cold

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have basking bulbs. I use a 100wat ceramic bulb for heat, and I use that uva uvb light for their day light set on 12 hour timer. Ok I just ripped off uvb light. Should I even put them a light so they know what time it is ? And also what's the temp where they overheat? My enclosure ranges from enclosure temp 80 degrees with ceramic bulb area 95 degrees, when it gets hot in my house enclosure gets 95 degrees and ceramic bulb area gets up to 105. I wanna buy jumpstart to shut off bulb but I don't have money for it now. I wanted one from home depot, it's half the price as the zoomed one, and looks exactly the same. Might be same manufacturer. I always try to read my old threads, but half of them never load. I know you've answered my temp question before. Sorry for asking again. My i can read some threads of mine. Sunlight hits the area around them, they might not need light ?
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height.
Each of your tortoises need its own basking bulb. Yes, they need light.

That CHE mounted right over that wood is a fire hazard. You need to raise it up away from that divider and you need to get a thermostat to run it on.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height.
Each of your tortoises need its own basking bulb. Yes, they need light.

That CHE mounted right over that wood is a fire hazard. You need to raise it up away from that divider and you need to get a thermostat to run it on.
Thanks for feedback tom[emoji108], I think I already have basking bulbs in my garage. As soon as I have the money i will buy this light, and run it with basking lights on 12 hour timer, and connect my ceramic bulb to this thermostat. Keep thermostat gauge away from all bulbs in a neutral area so it will control enclosre temp better right ? Ok that's my plan. Let me know if I need to correct. Screenshot_20180515-210655.jpgScreenshot_20180515-211006.jpg

Antoni

Hello! I use to use those thermometer and hygrometer, i read from @Tom that digital was more accurate which turned out to be correct. And you can watch and maintain the temp and humidity better. Aside from that, enclosures looking good, i know you got a hiccup on the size of indoor because of the bullying. Also if your planning to keep them in a tank like that one, maybe covering the perimeter with something they can’t see theough so they don’t try to walk through the glass. Doesn’t have to be high, just enough to block their vision of outside. Also a good tip i saw here on the forun was putting pebbles on their water dish, that way it’s not so steep and if ever they flip randomly on the water dish, they won’t drown. I also bury the dishes a little to prevent flipping. Hope im able to put some useful info. Have fun with your cute babies.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Hello! I use to use those thermometer and hygrometer, i read from @Tom that digital was more accurate which turned out to be correct. And you can watch and maintain the temp and humidity better. Aside from that, enclosures looking good, i know you got a hiccup on the size of indoor because of the bullying. Also if your planning to keep them in a tank like that one, maybe covering the perimeter with something they can’t see theough so they don’t try to walk through the glass. Doesn’t have to be high, just enough to block their vision of outside. Also a good tip i saw here on the forun was putting pebbles on their water dish, that way it’s not so steep and if ever they flip randomly on the water dish, they won’t drown. I also bury the dishes a little to prevent flipping. Hope im able to put some useful info. Have fun with your cute babies.
I recently just added Plexiglas couple days ago, I had them for a month and a half without any flips. But in the last 2 weeks they've flipped over a dozen times. That's why I added Plexiglas. There's somebody always home, so they'll never go to long with help, but before plexi you had to walk up to see inside. Now you can see across the room right inside. I was worried about them running into glass. But these little guys not dumb, they literally just sit at the window and look out. Sometimes when I glance over, I'll just see one of them starring at me lol.

Antoni

I recently just added Plexiglas couple days ago, I had them for a month and a half without any flips. But in the last 2 weeks they've flipped over a dozen times. That's why I added Plexiglas. There's somebody always home, so they'll never go to long with help, but before plexi you had to walk up to see inside. Now you can see across the room right inside. I was worried about them running into glass. But these little guys not dumb, they literally just sit at the window and look out. Sometimes when I glance over, I'll just see one of them starring at me lol.
My leos even when they’re eating, if i take a peak they just stare at me while chewing their grub lol

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
My leos even when they’re eating, if i take a peak they just stare at me while chewing their grub lol
I've only had mine for 2 months. Im trying so hard to start hand feeding but they still shy. Atleast they don't tuck their head in now when they see me lol. They getting more comfortable

Antoni

I've only had mine for 2 months. Im trying so hard to start hand feeding but they still shy. Atleast they don't tuck their head in now when they see me lol. They getting more comfortable
I was able to do it right away when i had my sully, guess urs is just a lil more shy. They’ll come around. Try to feed them around the same time daily. That should help them be more familiar with you :)