bulk tree mulch for substrate?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

The problem with bulk produced mulch like this is you have absolutely no idea what is ground up in that bulk mulch delivery. A high percentage could be good, but, it’s the rest of the toxic type junk wood, bark, other that comes along with it, thst is damaging.

I would recommend that you pass on bulk mulch available at a garden center.

Good luck...

Wright78

North Attleboro MA
I would not trust it at all. My local mulch company makes it, he supplies all of the area garden centers and all of the landscapers use it. I have brought my son there to watch them make it. The trees and logs used are a mix they have vines such and grape and poison ivy on them. The same machine is used when they add the colors for the mulch, they dump huge amounts of colorant in there. I have also found some stones and some pieces of misc things ground in there. I would not trust it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Do you have access to a Walmart or Home Depot? I use thisScreenshot_20190216-110833.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need fir bark specifically. I use this one from my local garden center:
Orchid Bark.JPG

Stoneman

Pacific Northwest, United States
Greetings.

The problem with bulk produced mulch like this is you have absolutely no idea what is ground up in that bulk mulch delivery. A high percentage could be good, but, it’s the rest of the toxic type junk wood, bark, other that comes along with it, thst is damaging.

I would recommend that you pass on bulk mulch available at a garden center.

Good luck...
That's good to know. To replace the substate in my enclosures with zoomed 8oz bags would cost me a small fortune though. I will do more investigating into the company before I pick one.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Unfortunately, where I live cypress trees are not common, so it would cost 3.99 plus $25 shipping and handling per bag.

No Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart garden centers? Any good garden center should have cypress mulch. I’m pretty sure we don’t have Cypress groves here in Maryland, but our garden centers are (usually) stocked with cypress mulch. A few even have the orchid bark that @Tom always prefers.

I’m sure you have checked, just seems odd.

I must admit, last Fall when I needed a few bags of cypress, and the HD was all out ‘til Spring, and Lowes only had about 10 bags left. Maybe your stores will soon Have some with Spring stocks arrive.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Stoneman

I would not trust it at all. My local mulch company makes it, he supplies all of the area garden centers and all of the landscapers use it. I have brought my son there to watch them make it. The trees and logs used are a mix they have vines such and grape and poison ivy on them. The same machine is used when they add the colors for the mulch, they dump huge amounts of colorant in there. I have also found some stones and some pieces of misc things ground in there. I would not trust it.

If you go under this page where it says CDS, it says that the product can be ingested, and causes no harm to the environment. https://www.homedepot.com/p/ENVIROC...h-Colorant-Concentrate-851612002186/204071643

Another page I.saw said iron oxide is the ingredient of dye, and that it is inert and stable.

I just did a brief search. An academic article I could not open because the site was down said there was another type that might harm the environment, maybe. I couldn't access it, only the title. But that headline said the iron oxide type was safe. Are you aware of any studies that have been performed to show the dangers?

I think I will stick to a specific type of mulch or bark so I don't have to worry about the irritant conifers, or like you said, having too much random stuff. That is concerning they had poison ivy at that place. I am glad that is not anywhere I live.

Stoneman

No Home Depot or Lowes or Walmart garden centers? Any good garden center should have cypress mulch. I’m pretty sure we don’t have Cypress groves here in Maryland, but our garden centers are (usually) stocked with cypress mulch. A few even have the orchid bark that @Tom always prefers.

I must admit, last Fall when I needed a few bags of cypress, and the HD was all out ‘til Spring, and Lowes only had about 10 bags left. Maybe your stores will soon Have some with Spring stocks arrive.

Good luck!

Thank you. A main reason I went with what I have now was because they haven't had it, I've called the places and they don't carry it, no matter the season. Most people don't mind which type of wood is used, so the stores here carry mulch that is toxic to tortoises. I recently found out some places have the bark so I am going to switch to that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Good luck!
They don't sell all the same products all over the country. No one out west here sells cypress. A buddy of mine hauled a truckload of it back from Army school in Alabama because you can't find it here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you use the micro size because it is easier to spread? Because it is harder for the really small torts to flip when walking across it? Easier to clean up if they make a mess?
I use "fine grade" orchid bark because its the right size for them to live and walk on. "Micro Bark" is just the name on the bag. This stuff is the same size as the stuff you'd buy in a per store, it just costs a fraction of the price in bulk. I pay about $12 for these 2.0 cu. ft. bags, if you include the tax.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
They don't sell all the same products all over the country. No one out west here sells cypress. A buddy of mine hauled a truckload of it back from Army school in Alabama because you can't find it here.

Yes. I guess not. For some reason I “thought” the OP lived in North Carolina....but of course, a triple check showed Colorado. I’m sure there are enough local producers of pine mulch that HD or Lowes (etc) wouldnt ship 3 cft bags of mulch around the country.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Cypress is very hard to find out West the big box garden centers and Walmart don’t carry it. Fir bark is avalible though and works well as others have said. I buy fine grind fir bark by the qubic yard for about $65 a yard here and have had very good luck with it!

Stoneman

Yes. I guess not. For some reason I “thought” the OP lived in North Carolina....but of course, a triple check showed Colorado. I’m sure there are enough local producers of pine mulch that HD or Lowes (etc) wouldnt ship 3 cft bags of mulch around the country.
I keep it vague for security reasons, because if some scammer or their was to try to gather Intel to steal my little ones. However most thrives are lazy so I don't think they would dig through each post. I think it says "Rocky Mountain West" but I live in Utah specifically. Not for long because I am migrating to Washington state.

natureguy

5 Year Member
Would this work? I cannot find orchid bark in my area. I know conifers can be bad, but if I used to this would it be okay? As long as it's not a conifer? What questions should I ask and what should I watch out for?

https://www.nyestreeservice.com/landscape-bark/
Now this may sound crazy but if you are interested in getting your own pure materials in a good quantity... find a tree trimmer in your area and work out a deal with him or her for you to meet them at their next job! Know what kind of shrubbery or trees to be pruned ahead of time. I have already tried this for our neighborhood community garden. It may not be the kosher thing to do... but some tree trimmers especially smaller company would be glad to drop off their load on your driveway! Then they do not have to pay fees at the local land-fill!!! I am sure offering a TIP would also help!

I suggest to go to a job where they are trimming a large tree. With a lot of shrubbery you will get a lot of sticks and leafy material. If needed maybe have a tarp ready to segregate the ideal chunky wood so that when the load is dumped there is at least some separation. (Then again... this might be really pushing your luck.)

Ground up wood from trees gives you larger, longer lasting chunks. Be creative. If you want the largest pieces possible try tossing with a potato or pitch fork and raking the material. Also be inventive and make a sieve out of 2X2's or 2X4's. Use something like chicken wire, hardware cloth or other mesh material at the appropriate size. There are many plastic "fencing" meshes out in the market.
Whatever you do not use in your tortoise pen I am sure your landscape or even neighbors would love it! If you have nearby friends who can use more for their turtle pens then you can make it a community project! Even make it into a potluck or a party!

JENNY04

I agree 100%