Burmese Mountain Tortoise outdoor pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopard

5 Year Member
How many square foot space of the outdoor pen does Burmese Mountain breeding pair need? I heard.that they will need at least 2500 sf for a breeding pair otherwise they will not lay eggs. Is that true? Can somebody give me some information on this?

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW Tn
Leopard said:
How many square foot space of the outdoor pen does Burmese Mountain breeding pair need? I heard.that they will need at least 2500 sf for a breeding pair otherwise they will not lay eggs. Is that true? Can somebody give me some information on this?

Although an area like that would be wonderful and greatly appreciated by your Manouria, I do not think that size is an absolute must. I would say the conditions are the most crucial. I visited Zoo Atlanta about 2 months ago and they didn't have that size for the phayrei's for their trio and they produce.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You can always get away with having a smaller size pen, but size is always a good thing if you can provide it. Key factors are giving a good nest site for a female, and a site for the male to retreat as well. Good shade, lots of foliage cover, and large water sources. My outdoor area for my emys emys which produce is 28 x 12 deep. LOTS of shade under a big bois' d' arc tree. very heavily mulched, with twigs, pine needles, and lots of leaves. Females and males will build a nest even if they are not going to produce. The key factor is having them in an area that they are comfortable and feel secure in.

This is my brown female nesting after she laid. But she laid september 10th and had been working this nest since march.

Attachments

• IMG_20120911_154423.jpg
    IMG_20120911_154423.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 153
  • brown pen.JPG
    brown pen.JPG
    589.6 KB · Views: 144

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
My outdoor enclosure is 30' X 18'. There are 1.3 Mee's in it. They are not fully grown yet @ around 7 yrs of age. It is about 70% shaded. The only time I see them sunning themselves is in the morning. They definitely don't utilize the entire enclosure. They have their favorite spots that they like to hang out in at most times, which is tucked deep inside the fern patches.

mcollins6

5 Year Member
kelly, have the 100+ texas summer days ever caused any problems with yours?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
mcollins6 said:
kelly, have the 100+ texas summer days ever caused any problems with yours?

Nope. I use a mister system over the pen, it cools it off a good 15-20 degrees, as well as they LOVE it because its like theyre getting rained on. I turn it around 10ish then spray them down with a hose on shower setting around noon and 3 when its the hottest. They soak in the big water tub as well. Well they do that anyways. Ive seen them in the tub when its 50 degrees out too so, they just love it. The big tree is a savior as well the other plants like the big banana tree and palms. Once the bamboo grows in it should be perfect. I would not recomend a small one outside like this until maybe 2-3 years old though, they can have heat strokes really easy. It seems the bigger they are the more they can adapt to a different environment. but I try my best at giving them a good micro climate.

mcollins6

5 Year Member
Nope. I use a mister system over the pen, it cools it off a good 15-20 degrees, as well as they LOVE it because its like theyre getting rained on. I turn it around 10ish then spray them down with a hose on shower setting around noon and 3 when its the hottest. They soak in the big water tub as well. Well they do that anyways. Ive seen them in the tub when its 50 degrees out too so, they just love it. The big tree is a savior as well the other plants like the big banana tree and palms. Once the bamboo grows in it should be perfect. I would not recomend a small one outside like this until maybe 2-3 years old though, they can have heat strokes really easy. It seems the bigger they are the more they can adapt to a different environment. but I try my best at giving them a good micro climate.
[/quote]

Ok, awesome. When I get one I plan on keeping it inside for a couple years anyway, but I was having second thoughts about getting one at all because I thought the 100+ days may just be too much for them. I planned on having them watered twice a day in the pen, but I didn't know if that would be enough. Thanks for the advice!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
In Iowa we get our share of 100+ days though not as many as Texas. My MEPs delt with it well by spending days soaking in pools or in pallets dug into soft earth and were active early mornings or early evening. I'd mist them twice a day till overstorage was soaked and dripping as in a rainstorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.